383 Hesitation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 Hesitation

I have a 87 Monte Carlo with a 76 383. It has Edelbrock RPM intake, holley 650, comp cams 268h, speed pro flat top hypers, 882 heads (i know they suck), 9.4:1 comp, TH350, B&M Torquemaster 2500 stall, 8.2 3.73 rear end.

Anyway, i have had this problem since i built it. At about 1700-2000 rpm when i slowly press the gas (as not just punching it all the way to WOT) it hesistates and then picks up and goes. It basically sounds like your clearing your throat, huh.... uhhh. It also has a small hesitation at idle at the same rpm's so it not to do with the drive train or load on the engine. I have the timing at 14* initial and 34* total. So i thought it was the shooter nozzles either blocked or too small so i got a set of 31's and put it in, no difference. Then i went to a 35 and still none. Then i figured it was timing so i tried to advance it a little and at first it got a little better, and then as i advanced it more it got worse. So it was a little better but not right. The distributor is a GM HEI 65k. Then i got to thinkin that maybe the secondaries are not kickin in soon enough or maybe too soon.

This is buggin the hell out of me and ive been tryin to get it sorted out for like two months now, at least. Sometimes the car will stall if i ease into a linelock. It seems like the car only wants WOT. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycarlo10
I have a 87 Monte Carlo with a 76 383. It has Edelbrock RPM intake, holley 650, comp cams 268h, speed pro flat top hypers, 882 heads (i know they suck), 9.4:1 comp, TH350, B&M Torquemaster 2500 stall, 8.2 3.73 rear end.

Anyway, i have had this problem since i built it. At about 1700-2000 rpm when i slowly press the gas (as not just punching it all the way to WOT) it hesistates and then picks up and goes. It basically sounds like your clearing your throat, huh.... uhhh. It also has a small hesitation at idle at the same rpm's so it not to do with the drive train or load on the engine. I have the timing at 14* initial and 34* total. So i thought it was the shooter nozzles either blocked or too small so i got a set of 31's and put it in, no difference. Then i went to a 35 and still none. Then i figured it was timing so i tried to advance it a little and at first it got a little better, and then as i advanced it more it got worse. So it was a little better but not right. The distributor is a GM HEI 65k. Then i got to thinkin that maybe the secondaries are not kickin in soon enough or maybe too soon.

This is buggin the hell out of me and ive been tryin to get it sorted out for like two months now, at least. Sometimes the car will stall if i ease into a linelock. It seems like the car only wants WOT. Any ideas?
My first guess is to verify that your fuel bowl float levels are set at the right spot. Also - verify by manually giving the carb a little bit of gas - do the shooters immediately spray fuel?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,143 Times in 942 Posts
What's the manifold vacuum with the motor warmed up at idle and the trans in gear?

Last edited by techinspector1; 07-01-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

That was one thing i did check that the fuel bowls are right below the eyesight and the shooters are shooting properly. I also adjusted the pump arm. I'm not sure about the vacuum though.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycarlo10
That was one thing i did check that the fuel bowls are right below the eyesight and the shooters are shooting properly. I also adjusted the pump arm. I'm not sure about the vacuum though.
Buy a $20 vacuum gauge attached to a manifold vacuum source and have a buddy put it in gear while holding the brakes - tell us your vacuum reading while in gear and not in gear, ok?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

I will do.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

On of the first places I look when working on a bog is ignition advance. If
you have the total advance set for best torque, sometimes you must limit the
centrifugal and add more initial and the bog goes away.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Well join the club. I had three different engines with three different cams and three different carbs and they all had the off idle stumble. The worst was with a holly. Your holly will work I am sure. I currently have even worse problems since I have went to a roller cam I have problems with my truck will idle fine but once its poped into gear if your not putting your foot on the gas pedal it will start to studer then quit. I will have to give quickfuel to sort mine out but someone did tell me to see if your off idle stumble if a lean or rich stumble and adjust your squirter. If that does not work you will have to try a lot of other things. Good luck hope you get the kinks worked out.
Eric
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

mightycarlo10, There is a chance your accelerator pump is not setup right. You have to check where the plastic cam is set #1 or #2 setting. Set the cam to #2 and make sure there is no slack on the lever. Also you can get the plastic cam kit. Try to select the cam that will work for you. I found out the blue cam works the best at #2 setting. Hope this help
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM

You could try these 12Holley accelerator pump cams . I had that problem but I gave up and switched to Edelbrock.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

I think i know what my problem is. Does that little plastic thing sit in between the arm that goes to the accelerator pump and the actual throttle lever? Because if so thats it. I bought this carb from a friend and it has a spring that attaches that arm and throttle lever.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM

The little plastic cam should go on the same shaft the primary butterflies are on.. the shaft that all the throttle linkage is attached to (right behind the throttle linkage on the shaft, its probably hard to see). The spring between the 2 lever arms for the pump is adjustable to take the slack out of the linkage.. slack/ sloppy is bad. Stock gap is about .012 if you have feeler gauges. the cams control how much and how fast the accelerator pump works.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

I know about the slack adjuster spring. But on mine theres another spring. I think somebody just used it as a return spring. I did see the cam so i'll have to do some tinkering on that. Thanks

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.