Thread: 383 hesitation
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Be sure the accelerator pump linkage has no play in it at idle, and that you have 0.015" play at WOT. If the curb idle screw has to be turned in a lot further than normal, position #2 on the cam may help- but this isn't usually the case.

Other than that, the shooter size or pump cam change may help, but only if it stumbles right off idle at the hit of the throttle. Above that- like if it continues to run rough w/the gas pedal not moving- it's not going to help changing the pump settings. And like you said, you need to be driving it to really tell what the pump needs anyway (other than the baseline settings I mentioned above, that is).

Get a fresh set of plugs that you can read after you jet the carb. The ones in it now may be pretty sooty by now w/all the idling.

BTW, your engine looks to be a well thought out combination. Many will question the Procomp parts, but I suspect many do not have any real experience w/them and are only repeating what they've read somewhere. I personally haven't owned a set of them, so I'm not really in any position to say much one way or the other except that I have seen them run very good at the track.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.