383 Mopar build, looking for parts sources - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 11:32 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 Mopar build, looking for parts sources

I'm a Mopar guy from way back,Even though I like every muscle car made in the U.S.A. and have run them all!

Been checking prices on parts for a 66 Fury 383 ci 330 hp build. Prices for parts if available, are high, I don't have anything to start with and used 383s & 400 used in fair shape that are rebuild able are high! So Im googleing my A $$ OFF looking for a decent 383 or 400 and came across a new short block and heads , specs as follows:

Part Name V8, 6.3 L, 383 CID Rebuilt Engine
Automobile Dodge 1967 - 1971 Dodge Charger
Stock No. AEMOP383LB
Description Forged steel crank .
Size 383 CID
Engine Type V8
Fuel Type Gasoline
Fuel Delivery Carburetor
VIN Code G
Aspiration Non Turbo
New Pistons C.R. depending on order
Head Casting 2843906
Block Casting 24681301967
Crank Casting 2206159r Forged Steel (balanced)
Any cam kit and springs installed $200.oo
I'm going for the (around 500 lift) purple
10 to 1
Engine broke in and run 10 hrs on dyno.
7 yr. 100,000 mile Wnty.
I already called them and its written up but not payed for yet! I Told them Id call Monday.
Total price delivered $1697.oo Including core cost( I have no core) I cant build or buy the parts for that
So I'm thinking about ordering it and then tearing it down and doing my own blue printing!

What do you think about That? I'll ask latter on the thread if any of you had dealings with these people, I don't trust their posted testimonials!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

I'd keep looking. Why buy a built motor from someone you don't trust only to tear it down, inspect it, blueprint it and throw it back togethor. You'll likely need to replace some of the junk they used.
I'm sure you can find a motor somewhere or an old Newport with one in it.
I bought a complete 74 Newport with as it turned out, a rebuilt 400 in it for 800 bucks. THey usually can't give those old cars away. You could find one cheap with a buildable core. Nice part is you usually get a useable tranny and rearend too.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I Dont build 400s and at 800 thats already half of the 1600

Ive bought many short blocks and tore them down for a custom rebuild and saved money over ordering hard parts separate! I can buy used engines and after cleaning and hot tanking, inspecting, magnafluxing , Deck plate honing or boring, milling the deck and heads, squaring the crank, Line boring, Doing a valve job, getting a good cam kit and springs , getting a good gear set, new anti cavitation oil pump, a good rebuild kit etc I'm over 1600!! This engine saves money! I can buy a used 440 now for $700 or 2 questionable 383s for $400 with a knock! The engine I'm posting is done! back to factory spec OEM 330 hp engine!

All moving parts are brand new not re manufactured ( a new forged steel crank),New rods, new pistons

Any blue print changes I do will be a modified performance blue print, street and weekender warrior build! aiming for low 12 s not any faster! The warranty I don't care about!!! I'm tearing it down!! I just want the parts! heads are done 3 angle valve job, good seals, and springs installed to match cam specs! I may do some porting!

I just couldn't believe the price $1700.oo plus core of $200.oo and no tax and they told me an added discount because I'm a registered repair facility!

Their write up:
"67 DODGE CHARGER RE MANUFACTURED ENGINE
Our re manufactured engine built to IMPROVE not just REPLACE! High performance options are available on most engines! All moving parts in our long blocks are new and meet or exceed all original manufactures specifications, and most of the time are purchased from the same suppliers who supply the original manufacture! You can buy with confidence from us, knowing that you have the best quality engine with the best warranty protection - 7 year / 70,000 mile warranty."

How much have you Mopar guys put into a good blue printed 12 second cars engine 383 or 440, and how much for just a brand new forged steel crank, new rods and new forged pistons? Try to find a good 383 crank LOL

I wont put down the supplier that's on the google, Its different then where I'm ordering the engine any way I cut out the middle men and got my price from the builder that builds for the major suppliers.

I'm thinking I might brake a rule on advertizing here or at least on the border line of advertizing LOL

I just wanted comments from guys who blueprint Mopar engines

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-02-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

this is my Mopar grandson

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1359849726
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of PICT0026.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	71013  
Old 02-03-2013, 04:38 AM

Last photo:

The theory is to go long stroke 452-471 B stroker for high output.

But the 383B block is a short stroke screamer with a good set of heads and intake,being an over square engine

it will like 112 degree separation on the cam,Purple shaft is old tech,roller cam would be the optimum.

906 heads are fine for stock and some HP but a set of Eldabrocks or Brodix with a single plane intake.But 1967 383 B

block had the closed chamber 915 heads on them,68-71 was the 906 heads open chamber.

Headers not too large that hurts the bottom end torque output.

440 source ,The stealth heads are cheap enough and have the symmetry

of a 906 but made of aluminum.High volume oil pump,windtray,full groove bearings.

Purple shaft at 509 was good in its day but was very hard at idle,had one didnt like it.Plus had 105-106
lobe sep.

If the 906 heads doesnt have hardened seats in them your valves will beat the seating into the head.

4.25 bore 3.38 stroke they wind up fast,high volume oil pump a must.

When you go threw the bottom end check the rods to see if they are LY on the rods if so they are the factory ones and should have been resized and fitted.

400 B blocks are the same but with a bore of 4.324 stroke 3.38 a 383 crank and rods work in a 400B block just good heads and pistons are needed to make a stout screamer.

Mancini Racing,440 source.com.

Last edited by General Martok; 02-03-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

General you posted what Ive known and taught for 0ver 30 years! Did you read my question

Compare what you will spend ordering all the parts and paying for machine work, balancing, etc compared to ordering this block and heads built and tearing it down to get those parts! If you read the post heads are done (hardened seats, stainless valves, springs to match cam, ETC. ETC,ETC,ETC.....
The 400 is externally balanced 383 is internal!!
Jester
Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 AM

Last photo:

Then I wont waste my time making any suggestions.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

General:
I think you took my post the wrong way? Your post is good info! for anyone reading this thread just not info pertaining to my thread! I was expecting answers like:

"No, I can buy all that used do all the machine work and balance for LESS"

or

"Man thats a great deal, I just paid $$$$$$ to have all new parts, a turned crank, used rods reconditioned, new forged pistons, file gap rings, my heads redone, new cam kit and springs, etc etc!"

I used to build about 5 or 6 early Mopar engines a year, + Chevy, Ford,AMC,ETC. So I know the cost of new and redoing used. I also know what a good crate engine costs ! I'm retired now but get calls from customers to blue print an engine with no engine to start with. So I was looking for a good used engine and cost of parts and checked cost of machine work if needed. when I ran across this.

I was not mening the way you took it?

Sorry if you read my post the wrong way!

Jester
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
General:
I think you took my post the wrong way? Your post is good info! for anyone reading this thread just not info pertaining to my thread! I was expecting answers like:

"No, I can buy all that used do all the machine work and balance for LESS"

or

"Man thats a great deal, I just paid $$$$$$ to have all new parts, a turned crank, used rods reconditioned, new forged pistons, file gap rings, my heads redone, new cam kit and springs, etc etc!"

I used to build about 5 or 6 early Mopar engines a year, + Chevy, Ford,AMC,ETC. So I know the cost of new and redoing used. I also know what a good crate engine costs ! I'm retired now but get calls from customers to blue print an engine with no engine to start with. So I was looking for a good used engine and cost of parts and checked cost of machine work if needed. when I ran across this.

I was not mening the way you took it?

Sorry if you read my post the wrong way!

Jester
In my opinion seems to be a good buy IF it has parts listed. just finished a bbc parts alone were more than advertised price ,plus machine work .no labor cost I did assembly , Usually Mopar parts are higher than chevy ,but he probably buys ALL his parts from 1 supplier so he gets a big discount, Sounds to good to pass up to me ,For what its worth. Oh you mentioned cost my parts were $4800 +1875 for alum heads +$ 1090 machine work $3500 for tripower intake setup. I did not add that up .i dont want to know.LOL Good Luck also there is a mopar parts dealer in Fairmount Ga he has about 500 used mopar all kind also he purchaced All chysler NOS parts from factory 4 Huge warehouses full i will try to get you a phone #

Last edited by 496CHEVY3100; 02-04-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
In my opinion seems to be a good buy IF it has parts listed. just finished a bbc parts alone were more than advertised price ,plus machine work .no labor cost I did assembly , Usually Mopar parts are higher than chevy ,but he probably buys ALL his parts from 1 supplier so he gets a big discount, Sounds to good to pass up to me ,For what its worth. Oh you mentioned cost my parts were $4800 +1875 for alum heads +$ 1090 machine work $3500 for tripower intake setup. I did not add that up .i dont want to know.LOL Good Luck
496:

I like that post whether + or - its an opinion And Yea! a lot higher then Chevy!!

I just did a 426 max wedge parts & machine work $3200 and another 383 in a duster $3500 I talked to the tech guy today and the builder, told them the cam and pistons and timing chain to install their calling back tomorrow to give me the rundown and my discount as a repair facility! I'll be making up my mind tomorrow afternoon! And It sounds too good to be legit

Jester
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

I did take it wrong,total misunderstanding.

The impression I have is of one that we are here (this site)to help others

not to be little people ,(thats what I thought was going on).

Its all good,this site has some UPSTANDING HUMAN BEINGS

that are a pleasure to talk to.The dude with the blown nova- cool to talk to.

Would love to see more Mopar stuff on here,even AMC.

Like that small block sitting on your stand with your grandson.Write about

both of them Ill read it.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
496:

I like that post whether + or - its an opinion And Yea! a lot higher then Chevy!!

I just did a 426 max wedge parts & machine work $3200 and another 383 in a duster $3500 I talked to the tech guy today and the builder, told them the cam and pistons and timing chain to install their calling back tomorrow to give me the rundown and my discount as a repair facility! I'll be making up my mind tomorrow afternoon! And It sounds too good to be legit

Jester
706-337-5620 Acme Auto Parts ,Yea this is real name ,did not see the coyote though but plenty of roadrunners,
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
706-337-5620 Acme Auto Parts ,Yea this is real name ,did not see the coyote though but plenty of roadrunners,
Ive bought from them!!! I see you got your picture posting working Metro (right?) I gave my Dad a metro convertible in the 70s and it sat for 30 years and rusted away LOL!!

Jester
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Appalachian American

Last photo:

Yea i have to load i picture then post it then load another but it works for now. Thanks i started a new thread i will try to put u some pictures up Things i should not have done.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok View Post
I did take it wrong,total misunderstanding.

The impression I have is of one that we are here (this site)to help others

not to be little people ,(thats what I thought was going on).

Its all good,this site has some UPSTANDING HUMAN BEINGS

that are a pleasure to talk to.The dude with the blown nova- cool to talk to.

Would love to see more Mopar stuff on here,even AMC.

Like that small block sitting on your stand with your grandson.Write about

both of them Ill read it.

General:

Look in my journal!! Pic 1, customer and friend picking up a 360 I built, #2, an Old fart (me), #3, customers Duster I built a roller. 360 engine for Set up the way it was years ago. #4, Costumers super "B" .#5, my apprentice no beard yet. LOL

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...79631360107963

Jester
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0050.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	71111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 014.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	71112   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	71113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy (2) of {3FED2937-94B9-4EA8-950C-1421776BD3D3}.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	71114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of PICT0026.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	71115  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.