383 on paper. need critiquing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 04:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 on paper. need critiquing

Ok, first off, in not gonna even pretend i know what im talking about so dont make too much fun of me

I need a hobby and am very interested in building a stroker for my truck. At the moment i am just reading as many books as i can and getting tools that i need.

I have some links here i would appreciate some feedback on. This is just the preliminary "sketch" so to speak. Im sure i have some mistakes and all, thats why im here Hopefully those that know a lot more than me can point me in the right direction if im getting off track. So here goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCAT-...spagenameZWD1V
for the rotating assembly. the crank is the 9000 series, will that be good enough for 400-450 torque?

http://www.jegs.com/i/World%20Produc...42660/10002/-1

edit* wrong cam, ill find another.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelb...spagenameZWDVW

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40002/10002/-1

Just looking for info as far as if this is all compatible and decent quality.
Am i missing anything aside from carb, plugs and wires, and mufflers/headers?

Im still unsure as far as the block. Can anyone recommend somewhere to order one that may have the machine work done? I would go the salvage yard route, but after talking to a few people that know much more than i do, the couple machine shops in our town do rather shoddy work.

Advertisement

Last edited by kiranos; 06-05-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

What di you plan to use the truck for? Daily driver etc. The cam in the link is for a AMC engine not Chevy.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with a 400 small block instead of dinkin' around with a 383 stroker. What large city are you near?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
What di you plan to use the truck for? Daily driver etc. The cam in the link is for a AMC engine not Chevy.
oops

yeah, the cam part was confusing. i was trying to follow an engine built by vizard.

basically its a backup vehicle. not good enough gas mileage to use every day, but i wanna be able to tow anything and spin the tires if i want.

I am in sioux falls sd.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Here's a site with engine combos. You might get some ideas here:

CLICK
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM

I used a similar kit in my boat, Scat crank and 6 inch rods only I found a kit with forged pistons with less compression, didn't want it higher than the 9.8 or so it is now since I didn't want to put anything but 91 octane and the fact that in the boat you could hear it knocking if it was over the exhaust. I thought all the stuff was spot on, all the journals mic'd the same. I have Sportsman heads though, although a set of Vortecs would probably be just as good and a lot cheaper. Mine is a one piece seal block, not that that makes a difference but it did make it easy to put a hydraulic roller in it, 230/236 duration. Performer RPM intake, 650DP Holley, headers, and it moves my jet boat just fine, would be awesome in a car but I don't think it would make a good towing engine. I think it was $869 with the forged pistons, and to be honest all I did was print out the ebay ad I saw and walk into my machine shop with it to ask about it and they said they could meet that price. For towing I'd rethink the compression and the cam and pick something more appropriate.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
basically its a backup vehicle. not good enough gas mileage to use every day, but i wanna be able to tow anything and spin the tires if i want
What trans and rear gear, how much weight being towed over what kind roads and driving conditions?

Quote:
If I were starting from scratch, I'd go with a 400 small block instead of dinkin' around with a 383 stroker.
Right on techinspector1
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Here's a listing of recyclers in and around Sioux Falls. Call around and see if you can find a 400 builder that's standard bore. What you want is a short block, not necessarily a complete motor, although if the price was right, I'd take one complete. When you find one, go down and talk to the manager and ask him to recommend a local machine shop. I know you said there were none, but I can't believe there are no reputable shops in Sioux Falls. Settle on a price along with a guarantee that there are no cracks in the block. If you find cracks after magnafluxing it, have it agreed with the manager at the yard that you can either exchange it for another block or bring the cracked one back for a refund.

Take the hulk home and de-grease it, then dis-assemble. Take the block and crank to the machine shop to be magnafluxed and check bore size and journal sizes.
Order up a set of Keith Black KB126+30 pistons and rings. Bore the block 0.030", using the pistons to set wall clearance to recommended specs. Order up a set of 5.7" Chevy rods. Set the piston deck height to zero. Order up a SD8060KIT Vortec head/manifold/head gaskets/head bolts/rocker arms/intake and head gaskets kit from Scoggin Dickey. www.sdparts.com
Also order from them cam/lifters #KITSD187. Carburetors are always a personal choice, but I'd order a reconditioned Quadrajet from them also, #E9971. Drill the heads for steam holes......
http://www.gregsengine.com/350to400.htm

There, a 9.1:1, 406 cubic inch stump puller that will run on junk gas.

http://www.yellowpages.com/Sioux-Fal...ive+parts+used

I've done my good deed for the day, goin' to bed.

Last edited by techinspector1; 06-06-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Here's a listing of recyclers in and around Sioux Falls. Call around and see if you can find a 400 builder that's standard bore. What you want is a short block, not necessarily a complete motor, although if the price was right, I'd take one complete. When you find one, go down and talk to the manager and ask him to recommend a local machine shop. I know you said there were none, but I can't believe there are no reputable shops in Sioux Falls. Settle on a price along with a guarantee that there are no cracks in the block. If you find cracks after magnafluxing it, have it agreed with the manager at the yard that you can either exchange it for another block or bring the cracked one back for a refund.

Take the hulk home and de-grease it, then dis-assemble. Take the block and crank to the machine shop to be magnafluxed and check bore size and journal sizes.
Order up a set of Keith Black KB126+30 pistons and rings. Bore the block 0.030", using the pistons to set wall clearance to recommended specs. Order up a set of 5.7" Chevy rods. Set the piston deck height to zero. Order up a SD8060KIT Vortec head/manifold/head gaskets/head bolts/rocker arms/intake and head gaskets kit from Scoggin Dickey. www.sdparts.com
Also order from them cam/lifters #KITSD187. Carburetors are always a personal choice, but I'd order a reconditioned Quadrajet from them also, #E9971. Drill the heads for steam holes......
http://www.gregsengine.com/350to400.htm

There, a 9.1:1, 406 cubic inch stump puller that will run on junk gas.

http://www.yellowpages.com/Sioux-Fal...ive+parts+used

I've done my good deed for the day, goin' to bed.

WOW. Thanx a ton man. Very much appreciated. Ill check it out.

@ Stroke: As for the tranny, would it be a really bad idea to just run the truck till it breaks and deal with it then?
I have no idea what it is, where do i look to find out? Its an 83 scottsdale with no overdrive that has a tired old 350 from a suburban atm.
As for driving conditions, and use, basically just what everyone asks you to bring your truck along for ;P Towing a broken car home, taking a boat to the lake, hauling stuff to the dump, couches for moves, ect..........

Sorry that im not very well informed, im new at this. Also thank you all for taking the time to help out a newbie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.