383 Piston Ring Placement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 Piston Ring Placement

I have some KB Hyper pistons and they came with a heavier oil ring with a divot in it and on one side the divot sticks out, and if you turn it over it is dimpled into the ring. There is 8 so there is 1 per piston. How does this ring go....with the divot down or up towards the top of the piston?

Now I also have another ring pack i ordered with the pistons that also have 2 oil rings in it and are much smaller, the oil ring separator with zig zags in the middle of both smaller oil rings (for the life of me I can't remember the name of it!), and a top and bottom compression ring but the second compression rings are labeled in the box. The compression rings have dimples and no divots so i know the dimples go towards the top of the piston. So I was wondering how is all these supposed to be staggered in the piston? I have an idea...let me know if I am wrong. These are in relation to looking down at the piston:

bottom oil ring - 4 o'clock
top oil ring - 8 o'clock
2nd compression ring - 10 o'clock
top compression ring - 2 o'clock
middle oil separator zig zag doo hickey - back at 4 o'clock?

Oh the rings...I checked them with a feeler and they were at .020. Is that a good gap? I got no papers with them that specified the gap so i am in the air about this one.

Thanks in advance guys...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

The thicker rail ring spacer goes on the bottom of the groove. The "divot" on it goes down. Then install the "expander" and the upper and lower oil rings.

End gap on the compression rings depends on the engine use. Consult your paperwork or go online to Silv-o-lite Keith Black and get specs
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:

Thanks Bob...so this divot would go down, centered over the wrist pin? If so, this puts my ring gap at 6 o'clock?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:

Wait...after reading the KB Silvolite install instructions...it says that bottom support ring is a spacer ring? So one of my oil rings go on top of the spacer ring on the bottom that spans over the gap above the wrist pin. Set the oil rings and compression rings in an "x" pattern on the piston and make sure the top compression ring is set at .022" for performance use...and that is it?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmej75
Wait...after reading the KB Silvolite install instructions...it says that bottom support ring is a spacer ring? So one of my oil rings go on top of the spacer ring on the bottom that spans over the gap above the wrist pin. Set the oil rings and compression rings in an "x" pattern on the piston and make sure the top compression ring is set at .022" for performance use...and that is it?
The spacer ring (w/dimple down over the gap created by the wrist pin) is the support for the bottom oil control ring rail. When the spacer ring is correctly positioned the gap IS @ 6 o'clock.

KB PISTON OIL RAIL SUPPORT RING ORIENTATION
Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:

Thanks for confirming Cobalt...I'll get em on this evening!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Just so we're on the same page...

Quote:
Thanks for confirming Cobalt...I'll get em on this evening!
Actually, the gap could be at 12 o'clock. I recall instructions to rotate the gap 90 from the wrist pin axis. So depending on which side of the piston you put the dimple, it could be either.

With the ring end gaps positioned like the diagram below, I'd put the spacer ring (one w/dimple) aligned w/the top compression ring gap- which would be 12 o'clock in the diagram. So it really depends on how you place the gaps of the other rings. Truth be told, I doubt it matters whether it's 6 or 12.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:

Ok so the oil ring expander does also have a placement range as well.

I was talking to a builder last night from Hendrick Motorsports that is a cousin of a good friend and he said he never builds with any of the rings at 12 or 6 o'clock position due to the relation of the rod and crankshaft movement and it creating pressure on the ring gaps. What i guess that I gathered from that is when the rod is going up with the crankshaft rotation, it could put pressure on the ring gaps and pull them instead of compressing them and cause ring separation. Or am I just really looking too deep into this?

I was assuming since he built motors that are rotating 9,000 rpms for 500 laps, then he knew what it took for longevity. Seems like you hear so many viewpoints from stuff like this, that you really need to just pick one and go with it
Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Ok so the oil ring expander does also have a placement range as well.

I was talking to a builder last night from Hendrick Motorsports that is a cousin of a good friend and he said he never builds with any of the rings at 12 or 6 o'clock position due to the relation of the rod and crankshaft movement and it creating pressure on the ring gaps. What i guess that I gathered from that is when the rod is going up with the crankshaft rotation, it could put pressure on the ring gaps and pull them instead of compressing them and cause ring separation. Or am I just really looking too deep into this?

I was assuming since he built motors that are rotating 9,000 rpms for 500 laps, then he knew what it took for longevity. Seems like you hear so many viewpoints from stuff like this, that you really need to just pick one and go with it
For one thing, what is he calling 12 o'clock? If he is describing 12 as seen from the normal "from the driver seat" orientation, or as you look at the front of the engine, none of the gaps in the diagram above are at 12 o'clock.

Another thing is the end gaps- except for the dimpled spacer ring- tend to migrate around the piston while the engine is running, anyway. The gaps are positioned staggered the way they are so at start up the gaps are assured to not be aligned and to lessen the chance of them aligning while the engine is running.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:

This is reading as you're looking down from the side of the motor pushing it in the bore. 12 and 6 would be opposite the wrist pin centerline
Old 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM
WFO

Last photo:

It may be some sort of an issue w/whatever engines he's talking about- but I can assure you it isn't an issue for the other 99.9% or the engines out there.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Daily Grinder

Last photo:

Good reassurance Cobalt...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.