Which 383 pistons for 64 CC heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Which 383 pistons for 64 CC heads

I recently discovered that I may be needing to rebuild my 350 due to the fact that may cam may have lost a lobe. I'll be checking that today. I am considering building a 383.

The heads I have on the engine currently are 2.02 041 64cc's. Am I going to need some sort of dish top piston to keep the CR and cylinder pressure pump gas friendly?

This is going to be a budget build for my DD.

Also, any cam ideas for a 5000lb Blazer 4x4? I have/had a Comp Xtreme 4x4 cam (210/218 .447/.462, 111*) that may have lost a lobe in less than 7000 miles. I loved the performance of that cam.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I would run a D dish piston, likely in the 18cc dish size, this with a close quench distance will give it excellant combustion characteristics. As for a cam I would look at comps line of 4X4 extreme cams, they`re made just for the purpose.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I would run a D dish piston, likely in the 18cc dish size, this with a close quench distance will give it excellant combustion characteristics. As for a cam I would look at comps line of 4X4 extreme cams, they`re made just for the purpose.
Exactly what he said! And you might want to read this thread on oil for cam break in. Could help you save your next camshaft. I would probably go with an Xtreme 4x4 262, the bigger engine will love it.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Smile if you know Jesus

Last journal entry: Waiting for a tranny
Last photo:

I have a buddy that has went through 2 Comp XTreme cams now I have (possibly, I need to get off this thing and start working on the truck) gone through one.

Also, I've been told on this board to stay away from the Comp XTreme's b/c the aggressive rams make them more prone to losing lobes.

So, I am skeptic about getting another Comp XTreme cam, even though I loved the way it performed.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:08 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

I've used them successfuly in 5 engines now. I just did my research first and discovered beforehand the modern oil problem and flat tappet camshafts. I use the Comp Cams assembly lube, pour a whole bottle of GM EOS in the lifter valley, and add another bottle to the oil when I put oil in it. I use the Rotella Diesel oil courtesy of my father who owns a trucking company and still has a good supply of the older stuff and I break my cam in for a minimum of 30 minutes varying the rpms, not just cranking it to 3000rpm and leaving it there. And I keep a garden hose handy to spray the rad to keep it cool Immediately after cam break in I change the oil and filter with Rotella and add a 3rd can of EOS. Run it for 1000 miles and then use Mobile 1 Synthetic oil from then on. 1 383 in a S15 Jimmy has 32000KM on it with nary a problem. I have yet to loose a cam.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

A Keith Black KB135 piston would work nice (18cc Dcup)
A comp cams DEH265H-10 #12-208-2 will run very very simular to the Comp extreme cam you had and has slightly more conservative opening/closing ramps. (more reliable)
A Crane cams #113931 Grind Number: H-266-2 (REPLACES HMV-266-2) is a good simular replacement also.
These cams were designed with more bias towards reliability than the extreme series, while still delivering the goods.
For a 383ci motor you may/or may not want to stepup 1 cam size to a
Crane Part Number: 113941 Grind Number: H-272-2 (REPLACES HMV-272-2)
Another proven great cam

Either case some moderate cylinder head porting will really wake up those good GM 041 heads. A 1.6:1 intake rocker arm is nice too.
Not all the 64cc heads are actually 64cc. Can range up to 68cc. The only way to tell is to cc yours.
I would get used to adding a bottle of GM EOS to every oil change for a long flat tappet cam life with todays reformulated oils. You could probabily split a big bottle over two oil changes after inital break in. 1/2 a $7 bottle should give the nessessary cam lobe protection while only adding minimuly to the cost of oil.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.