383 SBC Build advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 03:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 SBC Build advice

Hi Guys and greeting from across the pond....

I'm building a manual trans'd mid engined VW with a 383 SBC I intend to build in the near future and wanted some advice regarding the build.

My target is to get to a 500/500 combo and from my research, there are a few dyno proven combos out there that will do this and retain some streetability.

My intended spec is...

ARF 195 heads
10.5 CR
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 12-433-08
Forged Eagle Rods
Forged Eagle Crank
KB pistons
Edlebrock Perf RPM manifold
Edlebrock Thunder series 850 Carb
MSD etc, etc.

My concern is this....

For all sorts of reasons regarding UK legislation, emissions regulations, vehicle registration information etc, I'm pretty commited to using the block I have which is a L05 350 from a '1990 GMC Vandura.

I've taken it apart and can confirm the casting is a 10054727, 2 bolt mains and a non roller enabled block.

The two bolt mains isn't an issue as I can machine for splayed 4 bolt caps.

My area of concern is the fact that even though it is a post '87 block supplied with a flat tappet cam, like many of these truck and van motors from Canada, it does not have the casting provision for a roller cam....

I understand that at my target power figures, a roller cam is the preferred choice to retain any kind of street flexibility but I'm reading conflicting information about whether a roller cam can be installed in a non roller block?

Some people say there are kits available to do this on early (pre'87) blocks....? If this is the case, would the same kit work on a 1 piece rear seal '90 block?

Just need some guidance re getting a roller in the block I have. The block itself is a peachy, virginal, super nice low mileage example and as I say, I'm committed to using it.

Many thanks...

Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

This is what "Retro Roller" Kits are for. They are offered by Comp Cams as well as other companies. When the blocks were changed to roller blocks in 1987 the passenger car line got rollers. Trucks got flat tappets. However, the flat tappet block didn`t change any from the pre 1987 days except for the switch from 2 piece rear main seals to 1 piece so the retro roller kit will work fine in your block.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
This is what "Retro Roller" Kits are for. They are offered by Comp Cams as well as other companies. When the blocks were changed to roller blocks in 1987 the passenger car line got rollers. Trucks got flat tappets. However, the flat tappet block didn`t change any from the pre 1987 days except for the switch from 2 piece rear main seals to 1 piece so the retro roller kit will work fine in your block.

That's fantastic news.....

Please may I ask a few questions regarding choice of components.

Given we are talking a manual trans and a 2600 lbs car which will get weekend blast + strip use, given my power targets, what would you recommend between...

Solid vrs Hydaulic lifters?
Edlebock RPM vrs Super Victor?

(Heads will be AFR Comps 195cc, fully forged crank, 6" rods, pistons)

Once again, many thanks.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Other than being somewhat expensive, ($695.00) you just need the correct size lifter with a support device, like the bar link, the same diameter, .0842". Some have better oiling qualities than others, grooved, etc. I've been running a solid Lunati roller cam with Isky RedZone Max Endurance (rebuildable) solid roller lifters, Summit p/n 272-RH, for several years in my blown small block, Gen I motor, no machining. I also run an Isky revkit, but it has nothing to do with the lifters or cam.

Crane and others make retrofit hydraulic rollers with the bar link, no machining required, if you go that way.

Sheesh, DV beat me on the draw...AGAIN. Just more warm and fuzzies for ya...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

For the record, here are some pictures taken 7 minutes ago of the block - as shown, it is a 1990, 1 piece main seal, none-roller block with no casting provision whatsoever for factory roller equipment.

So, just to confirm,there is such a thing as a post '87> retro fit kit which will be okay to use in this block despite there being no casting pads etc?

Thanks.... just want to be certain as the parts website are very ambiguous about what a retro kit will or won't fit in terms of +/- '87 or roller / non-roller block.

Nobody seems to acknowledge that there is such a thing as a post '87 non-roller block.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Yep! Use the search function and search for 383 builds. This has truly been beat to death.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.