Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 SBC The ultimate stick
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfritch View Post
Hi TechInspector yes I am very familiar with that article as well as CHP article called Danger Mouse. I've been researching the e tec 170 heads for many months and they are my favorite head. The cam in Edelbrocks kit 234/238 .539/.548 on 112 LSA is a great cam based on what I've read, although some say it's outdated. The e-tec heads don't look the most impressive on paper but they just flat out make power from everything I've read. I wouldn't mind using the Edelbrock 2204 cam but it seems a little agressive and I don't know what it would make down low, say 1500-2000 RPM.
I clicked on the build TI mentioned, the one you're familiar with. Didn't really care for that thick-*** grease they're using for assembly lube:

But more importantly they said it was built using -12cc dish top pistons, but FT are shown being installed. BIG difference in CR (about 10.25:1 vs. 11:1), depending on what was really used. 11:1 is likely too much for straight pump gas- even w/aluminum heads- unless the timing was retarded. Retarding the timing is not preferred over the right CR to begin with.

I have no idea what the dyno results were, or if it was done using FT or dished pistons. But take the whole thing w/a grain of salt- sometimes what you think you see isn't what you get.