Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 SBC The ultimate stick
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfritch View Post
Speaking of nickel. Aren't the newer GMPP iron blocks made with a higher amount of nickel compared to the old? That's something that's been in the back of my head and I think one of the reasons the vortec 350s show little to no wear in the cylinder bore even after 100,000+ miles. Correct me if I'm wrong. I like the idea of having an engine that last and that's not going to consume excessive amounts of oil after only 100,000 miles.
Whether the new blocks are cast from a different alloy, I cannot say. In any event, the bore wear has diminished since the OMs went to EFI. The latest EFI systems should be even better in this regard. A better wearing alloy would be icing on the cake.

I don't buy in to the 010/020 tin/nickle (or vise versa) deal. I do know even I can tell the difference using a die grinder, between a Cadillac block and a SBC block- 010/020 or not. The Caddy is definitely a different alloy. On a spotlessly clean surface they even look different.

Here is a thread on the subject. There are others that defend the theory.