Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 SBC The ultimate stick
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

.. Oh, OK, sorry, thought you meant the article linked to in that posting...

.. AFR stands for Air Flow Research and their heads usually outflow right out of the box other brand heads of the same size... as their name suggests... by better port shape, not bigger size... and they can be optioned with CNC porting to improve them even further... (but also enlarges them slightly)

.. Well, we don't know if the 170cc e-Tecs are superior to the ported iron 882's in that article because I don't think many details about the porting job were mentioned... or even the name of the porter... the power numbers in the article kinda suggest the ported 882's may flow better than the stock e-Tecs..!! And I assume close attention was paid to compression ratio/deck height/quench... Unusually good numbers for such a small cam(if not helped by a 'happy' dyno)... The ported 882's (165cc stock?) may also have ended up quite a bit bigger than 170cc... and the port shapes focused on torque... I've also seen articles where ported stock Chevy 461X heads make 500+HP...

.. If iron and aluminum heads have identical spec.s/ports, the iron heads usually make slightly more power, because the aluminum bleeds off heat faster... and we're talking 'heat engines' wherein heat is power... of course, iron heads can 'heat soak' after a few seconds of high power and loose power then... whereas the aluminum stays cooler, giving off the heat to the coolant... and the aluminum heads are lighter, meaning less power needed to move the vehicle...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 01-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.