383 sroker 9.5:1 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

9.5:1 383 stroker

hey professionals, my name is felix im looking at building an engine around an elderbrock 1551 supercharger. i definately want to be able to run off pump gas.
i honestly dont know much and i am having to build on a budget around 4500$
this supercharger requires a 9.5:1 compression ratio. all i want it to do is to make around 515 rwhp i will also be using a th400 transmission. i want to be able to run low tens plz help me guys i know im a moron haha. keep in mind this will be a daily driver for my older brother i need everything forged on this build, i havent chose the block yet but will soon list full info im sure u will need much more i am open to any questions. i want to make approx 16 mpg and plan on running 5lbs of boost i need to choose cam, heads, pistons & crank and will be running 3.73s feel free to tell me the info i need to get from elderbrock to get to you.

Advertisement

Last edited by cherrynova; 02-23-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,157 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrynova
hey professionals, my name is felix im looking at building an engine around an elderbrock 1551 supercharger. i definately want to be able to run off pump gas.
i honestly dont know much and i am having to build on a budget around 4500$
this supercharger requires a 9.5:1 compression ratio. all i want to do it to make around 515 rwhp i will also be using a th400 transmission. i want to be able to run low tens plz help me guys i know im a moron haha. keep in mind this will be a daily driver for my older brother
If it were possible to put together a car that would go low 10's for $4500, I'd be the first one to open a shop and start hiring men, 'cause I could easily get double that for them all day long.

I hope you realize that rear wheel hp is not the same as flywheel hp. If you need 515 rwhp, then depending on the efficiency of the drivetrain, you will need to produce roughly 650 hp at the flywheel. Good luck.

Oh, and by the way, there is no supercharger, to my knowledge, that "requires" 9.5:1 static compression ratio. This statement is made on the Edelbrock site.....
"Our testing netted a peak of 507 horsepower and 487 ft/lbs of torque @ 5 psi on a 350 c.i.d. with 9.5:1 compression." I'm pretty sure they made this statement because it would sell more blowers than a statement such as "made 550 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque @10 psi on a 350 with 8.00:1 static compression ratio. That would limit sales because most fellows will want to go the easy route and just bolt a blower onto their otherwise stock ride, not pull the motor apart for blower pistons.
The lower the SCR, the more boost you can push into the motor without it detonating.

Now, put down the Hot Rod magazine, spit out the bubble gum and go help mom get dinner together.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Rotflmmfao.....
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Rotflmmfao.....
I wasnt even gonna post here this was a silly question and tech already answered!!! But I have to ask LOL Whats Rotflmmfao MEAN!!! LOL

Jester
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 PM

That was funny.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Jester, check your PMs
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Blazen 72: I got it Thanks

Cherrynova: tech inspector was being conservative with his estimate on fly wheel horse power and rear wheel hp! On the track its about 20 percent because most drag cars don't have many added parasitic devices Like ( belt driven water pumps and fans big alternators, Air conditioning etc) that rob H.P. so the parasitic loss on a street driven car can be up to 35 percent loss to the rear wheels! Even Heavy steel rims compared to light aluminum rob H.P. a heavy drive shaft robs more! So your fly wheel H.P. may have to be up to 700 HP to get 500 H.P. at the rear wheels! I didn't laugh at you it was the Question and the answerer that tech posted (it was such a blunt answer from him it surprised me ! He usually goes into a lot of detail to help somebody no matter how silly the question!! He must of been having a bad day!

Jester
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Guys this was just useless to me posting here,not that yal arent pros at this its just the tech didn't have to be so disrespectful. I tried to be as nice as I possiblble.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Techinspector did a pretty good job of explaining it. Definitely not useless information.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:38 PM

383 sroker 9.5:1

hey guys im going to give this a new shot, im looking at building a nice street 383 stroker to strip doors off the imports,I'm definately sure i want the 9.5:1 low comp for fuel milage and streetability, i definately would like to forge everything but "beggers dont get to be choosers" the most ive got for this engine is about 4500$ if u have any better combos for a 383 for this budget im open to learn. just please keep in mind this will be a street car that i want to get 13 mpg and make around 1200 hp lol kidding. maybe around 365hp would be nice just help me come up with a good combo il be using 3.73s thankyou
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Look here...
http://wwwsummitracing.com/search/Br...print-Engines/

there cheaper than 4500.
Dont know the quality, check the gaurantee.Maybe what they are using will tell you what you need to know.
Looks like a few are over 400 horse too.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You have two threads with the same subject, please read the board guidelines and not double post. I've merged them together. Thanks

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.