Hot Rod Forum banner

383 stoker need help

7K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  matheny00 
#1 ·
Have a nice 383 stroker and my initial timing is sitting at 32 deg not total that is around 50.

I have check TDC using piston stop timing mark is maybe 1/8" off.
Using stock dist with printronix flame throwerII insert.

383 stroker
Edelbrock rpm performer heads
Edelbrock Performer manifold
Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM carb
Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam and Lifter Kits 7102
Rocker arms
Scat crank and rods
9.6:1 comp
Double roller chain set 6 on cam 12 on crank and 0 degs of advance.

When setting timing vac adv.is disconnected and plugged.
The last I checked when installing the dist on a sbc if it was at TDC on comp cyld 1 you had to make the contact point towards cylinder 1 (driver side front) and the vac canister on passenger side.

The engine fires pretty well but I think should fire faster.

Any Ideas or just accept due to the cam that the timing is not falling in spec (personally I do not buy this) I think something is wrong.

See less See more
#42 ·
Up date got the HEI Dizzy installed and partway dialed in will work on it more over the weekend. It is amazing the truck fires right up no turning over a few times no pumping the gas pedal a few times it is like a new car fires right up. I am like a kid in a candy store this is to me the best purchase anyone could make.

Oil Pressure still up will change oil this weekend and cut the filter open to have a peek and change to simple 30 weight oil.

Thanks again to all of you..

#43 ·
That hole in the front of the block near the fuel pump is there so you can screw a bolt in to touch and grab the fuel pump push rod to hold it up while for ease of installation of the pump. After, it should be plugged with a 'short' bolt to prevent oil leaking. Be sure you bolt is not too long and fouling on the rod. If your measuring from the shoulder of the bolt 1" is WAY to long! I'm surprised t didn't bottom out on the pump rod. The hole is only 3/4" deep!

Duke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.