383 Stoker vs 383 Chrysler - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finer than frog's hair, CL. Just following my SBC powered Fords where ever I want to go.

Trees

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

I can't handle it.
The 383 chevy is a stroked motor and it cannot compare to
the 383 Mopar - for it is mighty.
I love the sbc's, particularly the 400, but, I've got a 1973 400 Mopar too, and it has some of the thickest main webbing of any of those MM blocks. When I get the stroker(4.150s x 4.375b) kit for it it's gonna be 500 cubic inches. Let me compare that to the wimpy 454 in standard form. I bet it'll burn 87 octane and any tires you can find.

Quote:
The 400 is probably the worst small block Chevy ever made
F A L S E ! ! ! !
F A L S E ! ! ! !
F A L S E ! ! ! !
Old 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Not so. A few technical differences is all it takes to make a big performance difference. The SBC stroker has a 4.000" bore and 3.80" stroke. The Mopar has a 4.25 bore an a 3.375 stroke. Although both are over square the bore/stroke ratio of the Mopar (1.26) is better in terms of performance than that of the SBC stroker (1.05) for one thing. The longer stroke of the SBC will give it a slight torque advantage at low speeds but will be a detriment at higher engine speeds. The shorter stroke and larger bore of the Mopar has the advantage of lower piston and bearing speeds combined with room for larger valves. The longer stroke of the SBC 383 will cause the rod and piston to travel at higher speeds in comparison to a short stroke Mopar 383. This means the RPM of the SBC must be limited (or special high strength parts must be used) to prevent physical damage to the engine. Those differences alone mean the engines, if built to the same performance standards, will definitely NOT perform identically.
There you go again centerline comparing apples to oranges. A certain mopar 383 had the same bore and stroke as the chevy. I am talking about what you first said about identical engines. You can't seem to follow your own rules.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Here we go again !!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

interesting read!!! i think it's an apples to oranges comparison. --"my pepsi can beat your coke, it has more carbonation for better volumetric effency, my pepsi is faster sipping than your coke--you coke guys are all wet.

seriously, i am a chevy guy, i,ve had several big block 60s chev muscle cars, but was enevetably was confronted with creeping rust (like chevelles common rust below the rear window and in the trunk wells). i switched to corvettes in the 70s, plastic doesn't rust. been a loyal fan ever since.
BUT, having been a mechanic in the 70s and having worked on many big block mopars, i have nothing but respect for them, nice design, great power out of the HiPo models, great strength, chrysler was right up there with the best in the horsepower wars of the 60s, sometimes ahead. remember the 413-426 wedges of the early 60s??? the 383 (and 440) that are the subject of this thread were great engines in there HiPo versions. (even though i have no proof i have read many times the 440 could even beat the 426 hemi in STREET TUNE). about the only thing i see wrong with the mopar engines is they weren't as popular as the GM and ford competetors.

141s posts were hilarious, he was born in 1976 (i was working on mopars before 1976), that means he didn't start driving until the 1990s and his opinions are based on his vast knowledge of driving a couple of dubious cars with unknown engines/equipment/tune/etc.

oldred's long post was so informational and accurate it ought to be in a book somewhere!!!--great post oldred
just my dual centavos.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
There you go again centerline comparing apples to oranges. A certain mopar 383 had the same bore and stroke as the chevy. I am talking about what you first said about identical engines. You can't seem to follow your own rules.
Oh I see. You want to compare the SBC stroker to a one year only (1959) Mopar engine instead of the one we've been talking about since the beginning of this thread. Next time try NOT to jump in a thread that's been around for a long time and define your own comparisons. Also try READING the posts carefully before you type so you won't stick your foot in your mouth again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
if each had the same compression ratio, same carburation, same exhaust and ignition, in other words if they were built to the same relative performance level, the Chrysler would out perform the Chevy in every category except max RPM.
SAME PERFORMANCE LEVEL does not mean exactly alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
interesting read!!! i think it's an apples to oranges comparison...........
Exactly! Now the Mopar 383 vs. the Chevy 396... that would be closer to apples to apples.

Last edited by Centerline; 01-14-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopardude
the chrysler 383 easly taked it ur talkin 390 hp. and 406 tq. STOCK, thats why i believe the chrysler 383 takes it, u got to put tons of money in a 350 jus to get that amount of power on motor

390 horse out of a stock 383 mopar?? i don't think so.. the 440 magnum was rated at 375 horse and the 440 six pack was rated at 390 hp... 383 was more in the area of 335 if i remember correctly....

that said i'll take the 383 mopar every day of the week...
Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abj1969
390 horse out of a stock 383 mopar?? i don't think so.. the 440 magnum was rated at 375 horse and the 440 six pack was rated at 390 hp... 383 was more in the area of 335 if i remember correctly....

that said i'll take the 383 mopar every day of the week...
The MOPAR 383 makes 325hp and 425 ft-lbs torque. I have one in my car, and I can sure vouch for the torque, but at the same time it still loves to wind up. I too would prefer the MOPAR any day of the week.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

All you chevy boys think that because you went to Schucks and got a set of chrome valve cover's and a performer intake that your 350 is the baddest s*#t on the road. I'll put the 383 (looks restored but not stock) in my '70 Challenger
up against any sbc stock or not!

Last edited by 67Coronetr/t; 02-11-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM

To make it fair both enignes would either need to use stock ehads or aftermarket heads. Either way the MoPar is going to get you the fastest ETs, wind up quicker and be able to wind tighter, and also probably make more torque at the same time.

These Chevy guys think that nothing can wind up liek a small block Chevy, thats a load of BS. A 383 MoPar can pin a tach as well as anything and still has big block torque. I know of a guy who is putting down over 500 hp with a 383 MoPar, just over 9:1 compression, and get this UNTOUCHED STOCK 906 heads other than flat milling to get the compression up with the terrible pistons hes using. I dont know him personally but his name is Dwayne Porter, he owns a small engine building service, and the car its in runs low 11s.

As for a stock 350 Chevy beating a 340 Six Pack, ha tough luck with that. A 340 Six Pack e body is a 14 flat car (in fact stock tests ran 13.99 by one mag) and NO stock 350 Chevy ever cracked into the low 14s other than the LT1 Vette. The mighty LT1s int he likes of Z28s were good for mid 14s.

Chevy made some great engines, but the 350 isnt one of the greats. Its just a good one that works well and has a big aftermarket and years of experience. The 383 isnt a great either but its a damned good one, but it beats out the 350 stock for stock and against a 383 stroker Chevy if both are prepped similarly even with stock iron heads on the MoPar it will and can be just as great if not better than the Chevy.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 AM
get the big hammer

hi

whats goin on guys i honestly can put to rest this 383 v.s. 383 stroker argument, i build engines ... well whole cars here in oklahoma, engines are my thing though. i have a 383 stroker chebie and a mopar 383 i built just for this arguement. ill start with the chebie 3.75 stroke 4.030 bore with speed pro powerforged pistons(10.00:1 comp) 4340 h-beam rods dart 210 cc heads 64cc chambers (cast iron) with 2.05 1.60 stainless valves edlebrock torker 2 intake and a demon 850 mech. carb the cams are identical had a machinest make em they are a dual patten 286 .486 intake side, 292 .486 exhaust side( at the valve with 1.5 roller rockers, msd 6al and pro billet distributors on both they are both ballanced and are solid lifter, the only diff is the mopar is 9.85:1 comp and the intake valve on the mopar is 2.08.

the fun part the chebie is in a 78 camaro with a 3500 stall and turbo 350 with spool and 3.55, the mopar is in a 73 charger with a 727 and 3500 stall 3.55
gears both leave on the brake at 3000 rpm and both have 28.0 15 11.5 slicks
drum role please the charger wins by 1/2 to 1 full car legnth 5 out of 5 races 13.70 to a 13.90 average
oh and ps the camaro is 3100 lbs the charger is 3750 lololololololol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.