383 Stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 Stroker

Well our new engine is on its way!! hear is my ?'s it will be coming stock with 300-325HP We are going to put new headers, a 4 barrel carb. along with true dual exhuast what else should we do to get this engine in the mid to upper 400HP range. We have to be careful the manufacture told us if we use a turbo, blower or supercharger we lose the 7 yr warrenty. Are their any ideas out there? thanks

Rick and Rick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Either a "H" or a "X" cross-pipe in your dual exhaust.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Need more details on what your starting with .
Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383trans
Well our new engine is on its way!! hear is my ?'s it will be coming stock with 300-325HP We are going to put new headers, a 4 barrel carb. along with true dual exhuast what else should we do to get this engine in the mid to upper 400HP range. We have to be careful the manufacture told us if we use a turbo, blower or supercharger we lose the 7 yr warrenty. Are their any ideas out there? thanks

Rick and Rick
Heads/Cam/Intake change - not sure if that will void your warranty?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,091 Times in 902 Posts
I don't understand. If you wanted 400 hp, why didn't you order a 400 hp crate motor?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 AM

Last photo:

I'm with Tech 100% .....and trying to take a 300-325 hp "stock" engine to the "mid to UPPER 400 level".... sorry I don't get it. You'll have to take this brand new engine with brand new parts, tear it down, get rid of your brand new parts....pistons, rings, cam, not even going to mention the heads cuzz if they are stock smoggers they are out the door also. Then you have to install all the right brand new (expensive) hiperf. parts to reach your goal. (????)

What I'm thinking is this is another case of the unreasonable hp expectations. Here's a suggestion, take it or leave it but remember you asked. Why don't you guys lower your hp goal to 375-400 ....THEN you can probably use all the parts you have except for a cam change and the items you already mentioned. If you don't know you REALLY need to find out some info from the engine builder like piston deck height, type of cyl. heads and combustion chamber cc so you can figure your true compression. Big lumpy cam, big carb to try and gain hp with low compression and small ports = a pig
Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I don't understand. If you wanted 400 hp, why didn't you order a 400 hp crate motor?
We original was going to go with a 5.7 350 than we found out for a lil less than a 1k$ we could get a 383 so we went ahead and got it. We were not budgeting ourselves for an engine of that caliper bcz of prices. we were able to get this one for under 2k with a 7yr warrenty. This is why we are trying to see what others have done so we can consider the thoughts and not void our warrenty.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:19 AM

327nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
I'm with Tech 100% .....and trying to take a 300-325 hp "stock" engine to the "mid to UPPER 400 level".... sorry I don't get it. You'll have to take this brand new engine with brand new parts, tear it down, get rid of your brand new parts....pistons, rings, cam, not even going to mention the heads cuzz if they are stock smoggers they are out the door also. Then you have to install all the right brand new (expensive) hiperf. parts to reach your goal. (????)

What I'm thinking is this is another case of the unreasonable hp expectations. Here's a suggestion, take it or leave it but remember you asked. Why don't you guys lower your hp goal to 375-400 ....THEN you can probably use all the parts you have except for a cam change and the items you already mentioned. If you don't know you REALLY need to find out some info from the engine builder like piston deck height, type of cyl. heads and combustion chamber cc so you can figure your true compression. Big lumpy cam, big carb to try and gain hp with low compression and small ports = a pig
Trying to figure out what you are asking for here is some of the info that came with the engine description. 400 Crank Shaft. 3.75" stroke. 5.7" Rod Length. Camshaft-Elgin E923P, Bore size is a .040" Ove the heads are alluminum full roller rockers and has ported and polished cylinder heads. We afound out we can put a mini Ramair on it and will not void our warrenty. So we are highly considering this add on also. If more info is needed please ask

Rick
Old 05-23-2008, 06:22 AM

Sixtyninemercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyninemercury
Heads/Cam/Intake change - not sure if that will void your warranty?
Well it came with a 194 intake and 150 exhaust. we do not know the exact compression yet. The heads could be changed however my dad is not wanting to change them to alluminum cause of horror stories he heard from others who tried it. I am not sure if our cam is a good cam or not its a new Prostock Elgin made E923P. They said it should be good enough for what we are trying to do with the car.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 AM

smokin63

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin63
Need more details on what your starting with .
I have entered alot of info in the previous threads if you would read those and then let me know what other info you would like to have before answering that would be great.

Rick
Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 AM

sixtyninemercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyninemercury
Either a "H" or a "X" cross-pipe in your dual exhaust.
You think it would be better to go with a cross-pipe and not a individual exhaust? why so?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
68 Camaro 383

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383trans
You think it would be better to go with a cross-pipe and not a individual exhaust? why so?
These types of systems help with low end torque, balance the exhaust, and actually makes it sound better.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:49 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Wow... um... This thread might be worse than guys who pick a cam soley on what they thought they heard from a a camaro one night at a car show five years ago....

First off... it sound slike your ehads are probably crap... not crap for a grocery getter, but I would not try to get 400 horses out of them... I would insteaed concentrate on getting it finely tuned and maximizing your torque, and changing the rear gear if you need to.

For a 400 horse 383 about the cheapest heads you can go with are Vortec, yea you can do it with others but not without some great port work or sloppy lown end. Get some good heads and compression around 9.7:1 and go with an Edelbrock RPM intake and a 268 cam- I like Xtreme Energy or Voodoo, but they require good oil and careful break in.... most people settle for something a little milder for those reasons. Run that on the headers and exhaust setup mentioned and you'll have it- but as mentioned that pretty much means if you buy anything more than a solid shortblock then you're wasting your money.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Dont really know were to go with this , you dont want to void the warranty ? while not voiding the warranty what can you change ? Can you post a link to the engine you bought , The may solve some of the riddle . What car is it going in ? it makes a difference if its a heavy 62 caddy or a light 75 vega . What is the end goal ? a dialy driver , weekend cruiser or a drag car ? How important is gas milage ?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Quote:
what else should we do to get this engine in the mid to upper 400HP range
Wow!
I think a 3/4 cam would work with that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.