383 Stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Call Me 1-843-6572

Wiki Edits: 0

383 Stroker

I'm wanting to put a 383 stroker in my truck,
but not quite sure where to begin. I'm not sure if I should go with the
400 crank and have it machined or get the 383 crank. I don't have too much money but I do want to get what performance I can out of what I've got. Any advice from someone who's done a stroker before? Also how would a 350 high rise marine intake be on this motor? The more the better right? (I will be putting my headers on this motor) Oh, aslo- are forged pistons really worth it? And a 350 Turbo tranny wouldn't be able to keep up to good huh? 3:73 detroit lockers a good combo? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

not sure what your budget is but keep in mind you can buy a crate motor usually cheaper than building one. (unless labor charges are cheap or free). i have a 383 stroker myself. it was custom built and expensive. if u insist on building this motor yourself, buy parts together in kits. eagle and scat both sell crank, rods, and pistons together. it's cheaper that way. what horsepower are u looking for? anything above 450hp, i would use a forged bottem end. forged pistons worth it? you get what u pay for. your intake, i'm not sure about, but i would'nt use it. u can also buy top end kits for your motor. heads, intake, cam, all together in a package. here's a kicker. who will give u a warranty on a motor u build? be smart and take your best route. remember, your money and time with a custom built motor is at stake. even if u spend only 3k on your build, thats cheap. but if something goes wrong, recovering 3k is hard, when 5k will buy a motor already built. if u already have some parts but want to buy a motor, sell the parts, put your money towards a crate motor. this is a long reply but i learned the hard way.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Keep watching the internet. For a truck build, a cast crank, stock rods, and hypereutectic pistons are more than fine.

Forged pistons are great in severe duty applications where there is potential for detonation or extreme cylinder pressures, but they are not necessarily "stronger." They are different. Forgings will absorb impact and deform before failing. Hypereutectic pistons (which are a kind of casting) actually have a higher yield strength, but are more brittle, so detonation and extreme abuse will cause them to break instead of absorb impact.

For the street, I don't even use forged pistons with turbos and blowers. If you do it right, you'll never need them, and the additional cylinder clearance you need isn't worth the slightly increased cylinder wear during cold operation.

Keep it under 1hp/ci and you'll have torque out the wazoo, and still enough HP to maybe turn high 12-second timeslips. Then use it to tow your real race car home from the track
Old 11-24-2008, 06:32 AM
knuckle banger

It is not cost effective to get a 400 crank turned down.
Speedway Motors offers some great prices on kits. We should have a 383 short block for sale through the shop I work at here soon.
I think if need to look at what you are using the engine for before you decide on cost. If it is primarily a daily driver, forged is probably wasting money.
If you are mud racing, It's good cheap insurance.
As long as your 350 core is good you can really save on a lot of the dough. I saw a cast 383 crank for 150 clams. About 200 for some pistons. You can reuse your 5.7 rods and pretty much be done other than the cost of machine work.

Mike
Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Call Me 1-843-6572

Thanks everybody for your replies. I have more to think about now.
I really just want some taking off torque, and some good street performance.
I'm looking for 4-5hp but my uncle seems to think I can get that out of a good 350 for alot less without all the complicated machine work that goes into the stroker...I'm doing my homework now...=P Thanks again!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.