Hot Rod Forum banner

383 stroker acts like fuel starvation at WOT

18K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  MouseFink 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a fairly new build carbureted 383 stroker that's pushing close to 600 hp on 93 octane, .that is starting to flutter/sputter at WOT and will actually shut down due to lack of fuel and I have to wait until the pump pressurizes and I pump the throttle and then starts right back up. does this hot or cold.
Its like the engine demand is sucking the carb. dry!???

I am running an Edelbrock 650 single line with a Holley 150 fuel pump and regulator that is brand new and is holding 8lbs of pressure at switch on and then maintains 4lbs at engine idle to 3000 rpms.

I recently cleaned all fuel lines and changed both fuel filters and their seems to be great flow.
I did find some fuel cell sponge residue in the fuel and then pulled and replaced the cell sponge after flushing the fuel lines.

air flow mixture is relatively stable sustaining 12.2 - 13.4 ratio.

it appears that all the vacuum hoses are fitted properly and not leaking and the timing appears to advance etc.. while accelerating.

I know this is a long post, but we are now totally lost as where to find the problem. Any Ideas???
Any help or recommendations would be appreciated

Attachments

See less See more
#34 ·
Post 14 and post 34 are advising to hookup a fuel pressure gauge so you can see it when your driving. You're shooting in the dark until you can start eliminating something.

And along the same question with 36 Sedan, where is your tank vent? Is the little gizmo fitting on the passenger side top of your fuel cell the vent?

If it you are losing spark when this occurs, then the proof will be on the plugs right after it quits, and also when it finally restarts. If spark is the issue, then there should be a good cloud of blackish smoke when it re-fires indicating a rich condition from the excess fuel.

https://www.carid.com/quickcar-raci...06WTt4bM8jYY_XX4llzaBFNvDwrbTLDLegBoC6Arw_wcB
Something along the lines of one of these rigged up temporarily would identify a fuel pressure issue as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.