Hot Rod Forum banner

383 stroker cherry red header pipes on the driver side just 2 inner pipes

8K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 ·
I have a 383 stroker that was running fine then I noticed the 2 inner pipes on header were glowing red. It this cause by timing or tuning issues? Any info will be helpful. Thanks

#34 ·
You can drop the exhaust at the collectors and see if they still run hot, hotter, or if they look normal? It could just be too slow scavenging pipes you said they were custom fabricated so you have no Idea what hind of quality pipe fitting was done inside those pipes? A little bit of metal in the pipes or a weld wall can deflect the exhaust flame towards the tube and not straight creating a very hot area that will glow! Too quick of a bend right at the flange can also create a hot area where the flame is directed to the tube wall before making its curve down the tube.

Post a picture of the exhaust glowing and let us see the header design.

Jester

#39 ·
I think you should check your valve lash or even set them with a vacuum gauge !!! Or do a leak down test, and a dry and then wet compression check in that order! If your popping back through the intake you have another problem!!!! Your 2 hot pipes are nothing! Take care of the big problem first, and then trouble shoot down to the easiest!! The first large problem when repaired will usually take care of the minor problems:D

Jester

#40 ·
I don't think nothing serious is wrong with the motor it sounds healthy at a higher rpm. Idling is off and it's back firing at low rpms do I have a tuning issue or ignition problem bad crankshaft sensor maybe. Where do I start without spending a ton of money. I am still trying to post pics it won't let me thanks again for all of y'all's input

#43 · (Edited)
I think you just need what used to be called a major tune up, A valve adjustment, set timing, a carb adjustment( or no carb) etc! nothing major:D. but the popping at low idle could be sticky valves ( not closing tight or slow) and when rpm picks up they are moving faster and slamming shut That's usually caused by weak valve springs! And can also when closed with weak springs let air get by the valve seats causing a lean condition or popping! Spark jumping wires can cause it or ionization in the dist.cap can cause spark jump! You could have hot spots in a couple of cylinders that can make it pop higher octane can cure that!

Its not hard to change springs on an assembled engine at home! If its needed! The people on here can talk you through it! You can do valve springs in a pinch on the road with some basic hand tools and some clothes line:thumbup: The old guys on here will know what Im saying:mwink: The young guys might see the word clothes line to change a spring and think Im nuts:D LOL

I looked at the pics you have 3 pipes on the left side glowing red your camera may be picking up what your eye cant see! Maybe the whole left bank is lean?

Jester:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.