383 stroker cherry red header pipes on the driver side just 2 inner pipes - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

It's fairly new build the gas tank is clean I'm going to check the fuel filter

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:51 PM

It's a fairly new build the gas tank is clean but I'm going to check the fuel filter
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM

The fuel filter was clean I also took distributor cap off and cleaned up under there. I checked the Pcv line one goes to the intake and one goes into the throttle body.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 AM
JS-70

Last photo:

Nobody has mentioned valve adjustment. I have seen guys adjust lifters too tight will cause pipes to turn cherry.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Old & Furious

Well valve adjustment could cause one pipe to gwt hot. But two suddenly starting to get hot is not likely.

While the engine is cold check for intake air leaks by spraying a little carb cleaner around the leaky areas and see if the engine stalls out or speeds up. Basicly any change in engine rpm or sound.

Snce it just started while you were driving it i would think its an intake air leak or fuel pressure issue.

Inner pipes always get hotter then put ones so its not uncommon for the inner two pipes to show hot before the rest of the engine.

I would try to get a lean rich guage on the car before you go out again also make sure oil pressure and fuel pressure have guages or emeegency lights connected so you can be sure your not going to kill it if things go wrong.

Also the lean/rich guage can sometimes give false readings. They can only read the o2 sensor output which is limited. So i usally just buy the cheap guage i think they sell one at autozone pretty cheap. I would not spend any real bucks on it. Since you just want to make sure its rich.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbean00 View Post
The fuel filter was clean I also took distributor cap off and cleaned up under there. I checked the Pcv line one goes to the intake and one goes into the throttle body.
Sucking too much air thru the vac connection on the intake. That connection probably references those two cylinders. Try pinching off that vacuum line and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Yea I checked the vacume lines there's no leaks I'm going to get a lean/rich gauge today and try it. I'm starting to think its retarded timing or something in the computer program and how it's tuned. Thanks for all y'all's comments..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbean00 View Post
Yea I checked the vacume lines there's no leaks I'm going to get a lean/rich gauge today and try it. I'm starting to think its retarded timing or something in the computer program and how it's tuned. Thanks for all y'all's comments..
I'm not talking about a leak. Pinch the line connected to the intake port and see if the problem goes away.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:13 PM

I took the line off and put a bolt in it to close it off it didn't help
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Old & Furious

Something changed maybe put a wrench on all the intake exhuast bolts make sure nothing is loose or changed position. Also check to make sure the distributer didnt move on you.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:

And what 2 header pipes are getting hot! and how far away from the heads and what brand headers do you run?

I read the thread and may have missed it but I think your intake is like a tunnel ram with no fuel flow just ram air and the injectors are direct port injectors at the heads?

Ive run injection and carbed engines and had all pipes running red and somtimes only one or 2 ! On my Dino tests all pipes are usually running red but if I change to different brand headers on the same engine they sometimes don't glow, cylinders during the ignition side of the stroke run at about 1600 degrees and at the head port some header pipes glow! A dirty or lean injector squirt will cause 1 of your pipes to glow but a timing problem would effect all your cylinders not just 2 (sent this early bear with me Ill try to type fast enough to finnish LOL) At the track and on the dino I have had to stagger jet carbs because of a normal 1 or 2 cylinders having a lean condition depending on intake flow from port to port or a small difference in cylinder efficiency, and with Hilborn or other independent port injection had to have different setting from cylinder to cylinder for very high rpm either on the injector or tuning with the stack length! I don't know what rpm your pipes are glowing at or if it subsides when running at a different rpm? If you are running lean you need to correct it but it could be a normal condition caused by temp and flow and differences in header pipe configuration and the gauge of the pipe.

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 12-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
What heads-did you port them yourself??.
No it's not a case of a enlarge ego quoting myself.The question I posed was never answered.In theory a mismatched port would end up running hotter.So I asked if he ported the heads himself.Also I have seen brand new aluminum heads right out of the box have crap in them needing to be cleaned out like in the exhaust port or around the exhaust valve cooling.I'm thinking because it is two cylinders right next to each other there is a cooling restriction there making the exhaust valves hot.

And as I think about this more,a simpler answer would be some sort of intake gasket issue.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:29 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Is it one inside pipe on each side or 2 inside pipes on one side?

The reason I ask is because of the way the intake ports are
separated after leaving the plenum box, They are paired and separated with a divider front and rear side to side! the only thing they have in common is the plenum box and the injector fuel rail! If its 2 pipes on one side or one on each side of the engine the fuel rails could have had a little debree or something that is blocking the 2 injectors fuel inputs ( may be something during shipping that you missed during your cleaning of the new parts before you assembled them or a little bit of metal or something that was dislodged from the lines and fitting during assembly and has worked its way to the injectors!

Ive seen clear vacuum packaging missed during initial clean up block an injector off completely causing a cylinder not to fire at all !

Not saying that's your problem but its a thing to think about! If a shop didn't clean and inspect and blow every thing dry, you could have a dead **** roach to a bunch of head lice in there LOL! swap your injectors with 2 good running cylinders and see if those 2 pipes are still glowing?

Jester
Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
No it's not a case of a enlarge ego quoting myself.The question I posed was never answered.In theory a mismatched port would end up running hotter.So I asked if he ported the heads himself.Also I have seen brand new aluminum heads right out of the box have crap in them needing to be cleaned out like in the exhaust port or around the exhaust valve cooling.I'm thinking because it is two cylinders right next to each other there is a cooling restriction there making the exhaust valves hot.

And as I think about this more,a simpler answer would be some sort of intake gasket issue.
1Gary: I saw your question and you posted this as I was typing LOL

Your right it could be? maybe he'll answer you now Are the cylinders next to each other I must have missed that in the thread?

Jester
Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Old & Furious

Does it still seem to run ok?

Two inner cylinders always run hotter than the two outers. That is just normal. If you were really beating on it i migjt think you got the pipes that hot. Efi does run a little hotter than carbs but i would think it would not get red hot unless you were putting it to the max.

How thick are the headers if you tap on them with a wrench to they sound like they are thick and solid or beer can thin.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.