383 stroker cherry red header pipes on the driver side just 2 inner pipes - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think you should check your valve lash or even set them with a vacuum gauge !!! Or do a leak down test, and a dry and then wet compression check in that order! If your popping back through the intake you have another problem!!!! Your 2 hot pipes are nothing! Take care of the big problem first, and then trouble shoot down to the easiest!! The first large problem when repaired will usually take care of the minor problems

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM

I don't think nothing serious is wrong with the motor it sounds healthy at a higher rpm. Idling is off and it's back firing at low rpms do I have a tuning issue or ignition problem bad crankshaft sensor maybe. Where do I start without spending a ton of money. I am still trying to post pics it won't let me thanks again for all of y'all's input
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Here's a link should bring up some pics

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Last one didn't work lets try this again

Stroker
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

I think you just need what used to be called a major tune up, A valve adjustment, set timing, a carb adjustment( or no carb) etc! nothing major. but the popping at low idle could be sticky valves ( not closing tight or slow) and when rpm picks up they are moving faster and slamming shut That's usually caused by weak valve springs! And can also when closed with weak springs let air get by the valve seats causing a lean condition or popping! Spark jumping wires can cause it or ionization in the dist.cap can cause spark jump! You could have hot spots in a couple of cylinders that can make it pop higher octane can cure that!

Its not hard to change springs on an assembled engine at home! If its needed! The people on here can talk you through it! You can do valve springs in a pinch on the road with some basic hand tools and some clothes line The old guys on here will know what Im saying The young guys might see the word clothes line to change a spring and think Im nuts LOL

I looked at the pics you have 3 pipes on the left side glowing red your camera may be picking up what your eye cant see! Maybe the whole left bank is lean?

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 12-02-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 AM

Last photo:

383 stroker cherry red header pipes on the driver side just 2 inner pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbean00 View Post
The fuel filter was clean I also took distributor cap off and cleaned up under there. I checked the Pcv line one goes to the intake and one goes into the throttle body.
Do you mean you have two PCV valves? If you do get rid of the one going into the manifold and keep the one running to the throttle body. Your not suppose to have but one.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM

I noticed #1 is not getting red but after I tighten my intake #3, 5, and 7 are getting red. I'm going to try to load some more pics of my motor now that it ain't dark outside
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
Do you mean you have two PCV valves? If you do get rid of the one going into the manifold and keep the one running to the throttle body. Your not suppose to have but one.
I agree your running 2 pcv's you need only one and a breather on one valve cover to bring ventilation into your crank case!

Jester
Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbean00 View Post
I noticed #1 is not getting red but after I tighten my intake #3, 5, and 7 are getting red. I'm going to try to load some more pics of my motor now that it ain't dark outside
I got a sinking feeling the intake needs to come off and go back together with new gaskets and careful cleaning and inspection. Looks like the intake is or was leaking either way if the bolts were loose the gasket is most likely the issue since tightening them had an effect on the engine when it should not.

I use fel pro print-o-seal gaskets with indian head gasket sealer. Use it on both sides and allow it to dry and stick the gasket to heads or intake which ever is easier then lower the intake in place, that way the gaskets wont slide around on ya when you try to install. Which is usally the cause of the gaskets leaking in the first place is them moving around during install.

I would adjust the valves as well. Just because you will find any other issues while your in there and you need to at least double check them to rule them out as possible cause. Fyi if you decide to do the intake gaskets adjusting the valves is easier with the intake off.

I am not under the hood so can only really guess at what needs to be done since i cant hear it run. Just giving you guide lines on where to look next. Hate to see you do all the work of pulling the intake only to find its not the problem. Maybe a few of the other guys can jump in and help.

Also pull the pvc on that side and let it run open and see if that helps at all. Engine will run hot if pvc is clogged and no breather to allow venting. I would do this first.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

hcompton All good advice!!

Jester

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.