383 stroker are Dart Iron eagle heads OK - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 stroker are Dart Iron eagle heads OK

I just built a 383 stroker motor and it has KB197 pistons. I have a crane Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Lift: .490''/.490''
Duration: 274/286
RPM Range: 1800-6000.
And i was thinking of getting some 72cc Dart Iron eagle Heads for it. I was just seeing if anyone could tell if that would be the thing to do. Or what other heads would be good for my motor??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

What is your planned compression?

What are the runner sizes of the heads?

Provided it flows enough for the 383 which I imagine it does, and your compression isn't too high for iron heads, I think the dart heads would be great.

I think there are a few people here running them on pretty amped engines (Turbos10 I think). We'll see what they have to say.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

u want the 200cc like I got. Check my journal/gallery for details...

What are your goals for this engine? What is it going in?

You're going to need about 3500 dollars to build this thing.

K
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

On a street driven 383, I would not go with a runner bigger than 200cc. As far as which head you want, it depends on your pocket book and performance goals. If you want to keep the price down, I would choose between Dart iron eagles or Vortec heads with the spring upgrade. The Vortecs with the upgrade will cost around $650 for a set from a company called Scoggin Dickey, and the Darts will cost around $850. Out of the box, the vortec heads will produce about the same hp as the darts, (arouind 440 with a streetable hyd roller cam), but they will make arounnd 50 ft lbs more torque. If you plan on doing any porting the heads in the near future, from what i have heard, the darts react better to porting than the Vortecs, so the darts may be the way to go. On the other hand if the motor is going to be kept togather for a long time, the vortecs may be the better way to go due to the initial performance superiority. If you are thinking about buying a set of aluminum heads, I would personally go with nothing but AFR 195's, at around $1300 a set for the street 100% CNC ported heads, or around $1900 for the Compeition 100%CNC ported heads. I am not sure about the Competition heads, but the street AFRs will make around 500 hp and 500 tq.

Good luck
Adam
Old 01-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Your Basic Moron

Last photo:

I agree with Firestone about those AFR heads... I have been looking at dyno-tested engine setups 'cause I want to build a 383 too, and I can't beleive what the 190cc AFR heads are capable of, in terms of power AND torque, on the 383 engine. Check out this site:
http://ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html
for some cool comparos.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I got my darts for 700 fully assembled with guide plates.

K
Old 01-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

383 stoker and dart heads

I am thinking of using Dart Iron Eagle heads they are 200cc intake ports, 72cc, 2.05 intake, 1.60 exhaust max rpm is 6000. The motor is going in a 1969 chevy C-10. I want it to be fast and have some power. Also i want the compression to be around 10:1 and thats what it will be with the 72cc heads. Would this be the right thing to do?
Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Should make plenty of power provided you match the intake and carb properly to what you already have. And make sure you have a good exhaust system to go along with it.

The heads look good. Might have to run a premium octane but should still do great on street gas.

Break it in and tune it properly. Most people underestimate the power to be gained with a proper tune. They instead throw higher dollar parts at the engine neglecting that everything must be running at matched and efficient as possible.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

Im putting a 383 in my 67 nova. I used Dart pro 1's Aluminum heads 215cc intake runner. 2.05 1.60. Street engine, According to Dart,
they recommend 215cc heads for anything over a 350. I bought these heads fully assembled. of ebay NEW for 925.00. I may be wrong but thats what Im using, this is my second 383 build.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

compresion

u might want to check how far those pistons are in the whole they usualy like to put them about .015-.025 down in which will realy mess u up on comp ratio we just got done building an eagle reciprocating 383 with hypereutectic pistons and they turned out with 64cc heads about 9.5:1 those pistons dont like heat the tops of the pistons will come off so dont even try and use juice been building race motors with a very prominent engine builder for about 5 yrs but the engine with normal use itll live for quite along time the head choice is good that is a quality piece i would check into 64s but u could trydifferent head gaskets if u already bought them
Old 01-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

Do the math to determine compression ratio before buying anything.

Are your pistons flat tops, dished, or domes?

A 76 cc chamber maybe a better choice for flattops or domes.

A truck engine will also do better with smaller intake runners. Even-through it is a 383, smaller runners will help get that truck moving.

If you have flat tops or domed pistons, look into the World Product S/R Torquer head (WRL-042670-1) with 76 cc chambers and 170cc intake runners. 2.02/1.60 valves, 1.250" springs for 760.00 from summit racing. And you could do a little "at home" bowl blending for more power.

If you have dished pistons then a 64cc chamber maybe a good idea (again, do the math for find compression ratio). A vortec cylinder head makes a good amount of torque!

If you want to spin tires in a 69 truck with (most likely) a 3.08 gear and automatic trans then get some torque. A 383 is a good start. Don't mess it up by trying to make too much HP.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

170cc runners are going to be too small for your 383. Especially with the cam listed. You dont want them too big as you'll lose velocity but for a larger cu.in smallblock like your 383 you'll want something closer to 200+cc IMO.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

go to http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/71298/

And scroll down to the bottom of the page. There are several sbc combos listed from mild to wild which could help you with your choice. Double click on the yellow spec sheets for a bigger photo.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A good link with some good engine combos. However all the heads recommended for the 383 have runner sizes of 195 or larger.

Just something to think about.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

Here is another site from chevy high performance:

http://chevyhiperformance.com/techar.../148_0306_406/

In summary...
They built a motor for a "3.08 geared heavy chevy". 406 cid sbc, stock vortec heads (160 cc intake runners), 9.5:1 cr, cam with 0.480" and 230 degrees duration at 0.050". It made 428hp and 525 ftlbs of torque! Perfect for your truck. I think that small intake runners on a big engine make a nice engine in a heavy car.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.