383 Stroker, header issues? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 383 Stroker, header issues?

If anbody can HELP!!!

Ive got a '71 Chevelle, I just dropped a 383 w/ a 700r4 in it. I seem to be having some header diffuculties. I was able to get the passenger side header in. But, the drivers side just will not go. I remove all the spark plugs and disassembled the steering colum. Its SO close! Keep in mind ive never done this before. Is there anybody out there that has experianced this and/or knows what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Stroke

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Last photo:

Couple of questions. What brand headers? Are you trying to put them in from the top or bottom?

Vince
Old 11-15-2004, 11:56 AM

There called "Flow Tech" headers. I tried to attach a picture but it was to big. You can see them all over eBay. Ive tried from Top/Bottom , Ive had more luck getting in from the top. But this is being all done in a drive way, so its very possible that these would slide right in if I had more room to work with (like on a LIFT).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33631

Thanks,
Stroke
Old 11-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

You've got to do this from the bottom, 99% of headers do not go in from the top unless the motor is out! My guess is that you're not getting enough angle on the header to tilt it back so that you can slide it in from the bottom, you've got to get that car a good two feet in the air, maybe more depending on the length of your headers to get the proper pitch on the header to slide it in.

My guess is you're trying to do this without having the car high enough in the air-

K
Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 PM

Killer,

Youre right on. I havent raised the car at all yet. Sounds like thats next on the menu. I'll put the drive shaft in (keep it from rollin on me), and then I'll jack up the front end and try to do it.

Thanks,
Stroke
Old 11-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I wouldn't trust he park pawl with your life. Chock the wheels with something first. A cinder block and a piece of wood works better than nothing.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:40 PM

Good tip!!! I'd like to be around to ask more questions.

Thanks,
Stroke
Old 11-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

... Sorry, I didn't notice you wanted to hold the car up with the park gear. Never do that man! Block all of the tires on the ground and use jack-stands. Rember if your car is that high in the air what kind of forces are going to be pushing back on that brick... buy some proper wheel stops and do it right. Your life is worth the 20 bux.

K
Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Killer is right. I have a 71 Chevelle too and though I use Hooker headers you have to put them in through the bottom. The car has to be just about as high as you can get it and then they will with a little work slip right up in there it is best to have another person there to hold it once you get it up and start putting bolts in. I tired to do it the other way to and on the pass. side you might be able to get away with it but not the drivers. Good luck!

Chris
Old 11-15-2004, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

headers

I would recommend unbolting the engine mount on the side you are having trouble with and loosen the other one to within a turn or two of threads, as well as loosen the trans mount. Jack up the engine as you feed the header in from the bottom. If you do this, you shouldnt have any severe prolbems getting the header on.
You might even be able to feed it in from the top doing this.
Once the header is in place, only put in the end bolts a couple turns to hold the headers in place while you lower the engine back in place. Watch for clearance problems as you let the engine down. Letting the header hang loose in this manner may also give you more room to reconnect your engine mount to the frame. Once the engine is back in place and all the mounts are tight, then go back and install the rest of the header bolts.

IF all else fails, undo both engine mounts and jack the engine up in the car as high as it will go.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:09 PM

Question Hacked Header???

Allright...

So, my brother came over this week end to help some w/ the Chevelle. I did get the drive shaft install, got most everything hooked up (w/ exception of the driver side header) , put it in park and put safety blocks behind the rear tires. I jacked the front end up about 1 1/2 to 2 feet and still could not get that header in. But I could defenetly see that it was going in better (I just need another 1 1/2'). So my brother came up with a brillent plan, well maybe. He figured that we could use one of the old headers I have and cut it about half way. So cut it at the end of the four down tubes right before they start to come together.

The plan is to use this Hacked Header just long enough to start the new motor, get it running and get the Chevelle to a SHOP that has a lift (and let some one else deal w/ it)

So just how bad is this idea? What are the pronounced dangers I will be facing by cutting that header and starting the engine with it?
Old 11-21-2004, 11:02 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Is what you should do is unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up in the air a bit. If not and you do use a "hacked header" as soon as you turn the car off shove a rag up each tube to keep cold air off your hot exhaust valves. They warp easy like that!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have a hard time believing that they will not go in with the car in the air, but without seeing it I cant say. Sometimes you have to really work them around to get them to the sweet spot where it just slides right in.

Anyway, if you want to run it with open headers to a shop, it is not going to hurt anything. You dont have to worry about plugging anything up. If that was a problem, there would be alot of racers out there with "warped" valves. Old wifes tale...I promise.

Chris
Old 11-22-2004, 06:43 AM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

unbolt the motor mount on the side. loosen the others. place a nice big block of wood on the jack saddle. the car should be on jack stands and the jack is free right? with the mounts loose and disconnected on the side your working on, place the jack under the oil pan. lift it 1 -1.5 inches.

you can do it. we know you can, most of us have wrestled a set of headers or two. everybody has a first time. put on some good tunes,working music,emotional support from the girlfriend.

you can

i dont believe the warped valve thing,its possible though unlikely.

i have seen top exit, primary only, stlye headers on hotrods. and after they shut them down they stuff raggs in them,but its for condensation
Old 11-22-2004, 09:26 AM

Thanks guys

I've pretty much got a 5day weekend coming up. So I'll try to squeeze it in one more time from the bottom. If not, I'll go with the hacked header idea, and spare no time getting to the exhaust shop.

Thanks For the Help,

Stewart

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.