383 Stroker help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 Stroker help

Hey guys, Im building a 383 stroker using a 93 Chevy 350 block. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on weather I should i use an Internally or externally balanced crankshaft.Should I use a 1 or 2 piece rear seal crankshaft since it will go in a 66 Chevy with a manual transmission. Any suggestions? I am new at this never built a stroker before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

If the block is a 1 pc seal then that is what i would go with. If you external balance this you will need a manual trans flywheel for a 400. A real rare part.
Now you can take a 350 flywheel and balance it to the 383 crank. It will take a lot of drilling but it can be done.
The rods will probably hit the cam and the sides of the block. This can all be fixed with a grinder. Take just a very little bit of the edge of the rod that hits the cam and grind the block for the rod nuts to clear. When I build them I number all the pistons and rods so they go back in the same place. I have a polished down wrist pin that floats in the stock rods. That way you don't have to press the rods on to check then back off to balance. Check the rods 1 at a time to make sure they clear the cam. About .060" is plenty. And about .060" on the rod nuts to block pan rails. You may have to work on the pan a little bit with a ball peen.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Thanks. will an old style flywheel fit on a 87 - up crankshaft
Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 PM

If your sure you have a 93 block it will be a one pice rear main. If you take your block to a machine shop you can have it clearanced for the stroker kit pretty cheap. When you order your kit you can get it either internal or external balanced, your gonna have an eaiser time getting a flywheel to fit the internal balanced kit.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks guys if anyone else has any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

We build a lot of engines that we use the later blocks and use the 2 peice rear seal cranks as there are 2 adaptores available for the early pan and one for the late pan. And the early flywheels will not fit the late one peice seal cranks.

On the 383's we have been building for the street we have been using forged Scat crank machined for the 6 inch rod and have been using the Scat rods with the 7/16 bolts which we are able to internal balance with no problems and you not restricted to a costly balancer or flywheel that is required to stay with the crank.

And by using the rods mentioned and on the hydraulic cams we have been getting machined we have been getting the done with 1.130 base circle and between the rod and the cam there is plenty of room.

Her is a pic of a engine we built using this adaptor.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks CNC, I think I will go with internally balanced 2 piece rear seal crank with an adapter. How do you measure the base circle of the cam. I am planning on using a crane roller cam.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:03 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 chevy truck
Thanks CNC, I think I will go with internally balanced 2 piece rear seal crank with an adapter. How do you measure the base circle of the cam. I am planning on using a crane roller cam.
When you order your cam from Crane let them know your using a stroker crank and they should be able to take care of the smaller base circle for you.

And when using the adaptor you must use a mandrel to center the adaptor and when you go to put the pan on get a hold of me as ther are a few tricks to seal up the pan.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.