Hot Rod Forum banner

383 stroker help/ what heads,cam

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hus123321 
#1 ·
running a zz4 crate motor thats starting to have a lower end noise cold so its comming out this winter to get some attention. my idea was if i.m going through the hassle of a rebuild i might as well make a stroker. seems easiest to by an assembled 383 stroker short block and use my zz4 heads and cam. anybody ever run this set up or something close ? i was told the 58cc chambers would be too small. goal is to have a torque monster, application is cruise nights and some summer weekends. torque seems more important to me than high reving horsepower. any thoughts or idea's would be helpful----thanks

zz4 has less than 10k on it and never been raced or beat so i'm also at a loss for why its getting noisy, maybee piston slap ? (want a stroker anyway)

1990 dropped c1500,5 speed,msd,headers,demon carb,hei dist.

#2 ·
Personally, unless the budget mandates otherwise, I would lose those heads. If I'm not mistaken, those l98 heads are like 165 or 170 intake runners. If you keep them you may want to hog them out. With the extra stroke I think the heads will be your bottleneck.

#3 ·
this motor was in it when i bought the truck so can't say for sure untill i get it apart but this is what i was told when i recently tracked down the previous owner. these heads have been ported,bigger valves and upgraded cam. i can't give specifics yet because like i said this will be my first time laying eyes on the internals. he couldn't give me specifics either, he had an engine shop do it and doesn't have any records. i think he's telling the truth because he brought up before i even mentioned the motor in conversation. assuming the heads and cam have been worked does my swapping to a 383 stroker block seem like it will get me a reasonable power gain. need opinions of you big time engine builders out there before i can plan my build. i will be going with the proper dish pistons to keep compression from getting too high. and yes budget is the main reason for trying to keep my top end. thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.