Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 Stroker HP Estimate and build
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What's your rear gear? Need to know your crusing rpm, and comp. ratio for a cam suggestion. Is going to be with an auto or manual trans?
What brand of aftermarket crank? Some may not need external balanced dampner if using 6" rods. What is the compression height of the pistons? Usually 1.56" or 1.54" for stock if I'm not mistaken, but for 6" rods it needs to be around 1.125"-1.130" if using a 3.75" stroke crank. Makes a difference on your compression ratio and wether or not to deck the block for prefered "squish". The oil ring groove usually intersects the piston pin hole if the pistons are for 6" rods FWIW.
Have the rods got ARP bolts? I heard Pro Comp rods need to be resized out of the box, but thats just what I've seen on the internet, but it was often and by persons that were professionals. Might be a good idea to have the shop check them out?
A brand new balanced flywheel seems odd for an unbalanced dampner? I've heard of it being the other way around say for a one piece RMS engine, but I could be misstaken. Are you going to have the rotating assy balanced?
Are you using a one piece RMS block? Do you plan on using a roller cam?
Sure would be nice to have a machine shop around here open on Sunday.
Not trying to be a pita, but you asked.
ssmonty