Hot Rod Forum banner

383 Stroker HP Estimate and build

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  deckofficer 
#1 ·
383 parts

Hey guys,
I think I have scored on a deal. Well, I hope so, because Ive already bought them.
I am looking put together a 383 stroker motor to put into my 72 Chevelle.
So I was looking on craigslist for various parts for the motor.
And I found a aftermarket 383 crankshaft, a brand new balanced flywheel, brand new externally balanced harmonic balancer, procomp motorsports 6" connecting rods, Keith Black Claimer flat top pistons. All for 400 bucks.
When I met the guy, he defiantly knew what he was talking about. And I told him what I was planning on doing.

I have the 350 block already. So Im taking all the parts to the machine shop on Sunday to have the block work done, and also have them put the internals together because Im not too comfortable doing myself.

So what does everyone think?

I was also looking for suggestions on a cam. To be perfectly honest, Im looking for a bad *** street stroker motor. I think Im off to a good start.
After the machine work, all ill need is a set of AFR heads and Ill be set.

What are you guys thoughts? good or bad, do tell.

Thanks!
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
What's your rear gear? Need to know your crusing rpm, and comp. ratio for a cam suggestion. Is going to be with an auto or manual trans?
What brand of aftermarket crank? Some may not need external balanced dampner if using 6" rods. What is the compression height of the pistons? Usually 1.56" or 1.54" for stock if I'm not mistaken, but for 6" rods it needs to be around 1.125"-1.130" if using a 3.75" stroke crank. Makes a difference on your compression ratio and wether or not to deck the block for prefered "squish". The oil ring groove usually intersects the piston pin hole if the pistons are for 6" rods FWIW.
Have the rods got ARP bolts? I heard Pro Comp rods need to be resized out of the box, but thats just what I've seen on the internet, but it was often and by persons that were professionals. Might be a good idea to have the shop check them out?
A brand new balanced flywheel seems odd for an unbalanced dampner? I've heard of it being the other way around say for a one piece RMS engine, but I could be misstaken. Are you going to have the rotating assy balanced?
Are you using a one piece RMS block? Do you plan on using a roller cam?
Sure would be nice to have a machine shop around here open on Sunday.
Not trying to be a pita, but you asked.
ssmonty

#6 ·
Hey All,
I am in the process of building a 383 stroker. Well, my motor guy is helping... anyway. Here is the specs

-350 block, bored .40 over.
-SCAT 375 aftermarket crank. Made for a stroker.
-Keith Black Claimer flat top pistons .40 over with 2 valve relief.
-procomp motorsports 6" connecting rods, I beam
-Lunati roller Cam and lifters. 242 duration, dont have all the specs on me right now..
-Dart SHP Aluminum 200cc Heads - Hand built with large springs, 10 deg hardware including 7/16" arp studs and guide plates as well as performance valves runs, Ferrea Stainless performance valves
-Holley DP 650
-RPM Performer air gap intake manifold.
-Long tube headers, 1 3/4 I believe.

Can anyone estimate a HP range. After all this i wont have alot of cash to dyno it. But an estimation would be nice.

Thanks,
MIke

#7 ·
Yea having a machine shop open in sundays is pretty nice. It is "appointment only"

I pretty much have him helping me/guiding me throught the parts process. Im pretty good with the top half of the motor. but the internals are out of my league. I just dont have the knowledge.

Ill keep everyone posted as I go.

Thanks

#12 ·
383 carb

what sarcasm?
I use a 950 on my engine.a 650 cant move enough air with a standard type camshaft to make much over 425 HP.
That cam you picked sounds like a 57-6,000 RPM cam,depending on ICL and LDA?
My car also uses an open plenum intake,I like mid range power more than off idle,different from that other fellas.
I too use a 5 speed,,,

#10 ·
A 383 build using those parts should yield 400~450 HP. On my 383 build I went a different route, I wanted as much torque as low in the rpm band as possible. I dyno on a regular basis, my engine pulled 320 HP @ 4050 and 516 lb/ft @ 2800. Great for an RV or tow truck, but a real hoot in a 1790 lb Track-T with a 5 speed stick.

#15 ·
I bought a brand new TKO 600. I ordered the .82 over drive. If you drag race,you might want the .68 overdrive depending on the rear axle ratio you use.The TKO/scattershield/shifter came to 3k. I also bought a lighter sfi approved steel flywheel.I use a diaphragm style clutch.

#18 ·
Though I'm in California, that was why I bought from Scott too. Many stories of his race engines going season after season untouched. That is uncommon for the flogging a race engine receives. I figure if his race engines are that tough, then his street engines ought to be pretty good too. Plus he is able to produce big HP at just 5700 and gobs of torque at 4400. I only have those 40 miles of experience, but in my light weight ride it scoots.

#23 ·
The lighter the car, the less tire spin and more hook and book. Ran Sacramento Raceway with the 355 which had 386 HP, 10.8 @ 132. I would say the 526 HP 427 would be at least a second faster. Weight makes such a big difference for going fast, cornering, and stopping. For over 40 years I had hot rods in the 3500~4200 lb range and now I've decided not to fight The Laws of Physics, going with 1790 lbs. Had I done this 40 years ago, their would have been a lot less hot rods in my garage over the years.

Try light weight, you'll like it. Carroll Shelby had it right.

One of my heavyweights about 25 years ago, and before my beard turned gray.

#24 ·
what you said I 100% agree with.Thats why so many people with their 383s have no chance against all the kids with Civics with V-teca. The import guys all have 200 hp or more in 2300 pound cars. Then match that against even a 400 hp 383 and watch the imports dart to 60 MPH leaving the big V-8s spinnin their wheels

#25 ·
At that my friend is why I cover things up. First, the Asian Tuner set has no idea I'm lighter than them, and with my narrow engine cover and exhaust tucked up underneath my ride, they assume I'm a 4 cylinder too. Notice the bulge in the side cover for clearance of the Ram's Horn exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.