Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   383 Stroker HP Estimate and build (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/383-stroker-hp-estimate-build-230073.html)

dub 02-22-2013 11:51 PM

383 parts
 
Hey guys,
I think I have scored on a deal. Well, I hope so, because Ive already bought them.
I am looking put together a 383 stroker motor to put into my 72 Chevelle.
So I was looking on craigslist for various parts for the motor.
And I found a aftermarket 383 crankshaft, a brand new balanced flywheel, brand new externally balanced harmonic balancer, procomp motorsports 6" connecting rods, Keith Black Claimer flat top pistons. All for 400 bucks.
When I met the guy, he defiantly knew what he was talking about. And I told him what I was planning on doing.

I have the 350 block already. So Im taking all the parts to the machine shop on Sunday to have the block work done, and also have them put the internals together because Im not too comfortable doing myself.

So what does everyone think?

I was also looking for suggestions on a cam. To be perfectly honest, Im looking for a bad *** street stroker motor. I think Im off to a good start.
After the machine work, all ill need is a set of AFR heads and Ill be set.

What are you guys thoughts? good or bad, do tell.

Thanks!
Mike

ssmonty 02-23-2013 12:49 PM

What's your rear gear? Need to know your crusing rpm, and comp. ratio for a cam suggestion. Is going to be with an auto or manual trans?
What brand of aftermarket crank? Some may not need external balanced dampner if using 6" rods. What is the compression height of the pistons? Usually 1.56" or 1.54" for stock if I'm not mistaken, but for 6" rods it needs to be around 1.125"-1.130" if using a 3.75" stroke crank. Makes a difference on your compression ratio and wether or not to deck the block for prefered "squish". The oil ring groove usually intersects the piston pin hole if the pistons are for 6" rods FWIW.
Have the rods got ARP bolts? I heard Pro Comp rods need to be resized out of the box, but thats just what I've seen on the internet, but it was often and by persons that were professionals. Might be a good idea to have the shop check them out?
A brand new balanced flywheel seems odd for an unbalanced dampner? I've heard of it being the other way around say for a one piece RMS engine, but I could be misstaken. Are you going to have the rotating assy balanced?
Are you using a one piece RMS block? Do you plan on using a roller cam?
Sure would be nice to have a machine shop around here open on Sunday.
Not trying to be a pita, but you asked.
ssmonty

vinniekq2 02-23-2013 04:14 PM

start with the heads and head flow,power is in the breathing.Cam will match the heads better than the gears.
decide on an end result and we can match the parts to get you there

327NUT 02-23-2013 11:51 PM

You can also see "Skip White Performance" for your 383 parts, he's on ebay but has a nice speed shop. I've heard lots of good things about his company.

Xavier87 02-24-2013 12:52 AM

I have the exact same parts. But all my parts are Keith Black. I scored mine for $450. I researched and I bought them seperately it would e aroung $1500-1700.

dub 02-26-2013 10:45 PM

383 Stroker HP Estimate and build
 
Hey All,
I am in the process of building a 383 stroker. Well, my motor guy is helping... anyway. Here is the specs

-350 block, bored .40 over.
-SCAT 375 aftermarket crank. Made for a stroker.
-Keith Black Claimer flat top pistons .40 over with 2 valve relief.
-procomp motorsports 6" connecting rods, I beam
-Lunati roller Cam and lifters. 242 duration, dont have all the specs on me right now..
-Dart SHP Aluminum 200cc Heads - Hand built with large springs, 10 deg hardware including 7/16" arp studs and guide plates as well as performance valves runs, Ferrea Stainless performance valves
-Holley DP 650
-RPM Performer air gap intake manifold.
-Long tube headers, 1 3/4 I believe.

Can anyone estimate a HP range. After all this i wont have alot of cash to dyno it. But an estimation would be nice.


Thanks,
MIke

dub 02-26-2013 10:50 PM

Yea having a machine shop open in sundays is pretty nice. It is "appointment only"

I pretty much have him helping me/guiding me throught the parts process. Im pretty good with the top half of the motor. but the internals are out of my league. I just dont have the knowledge.

Ill keep everyone posted as I go.

Thanks

vinniekq2 02-26-2013 10:50 PM

I would guess over 440 and Im sure you were going to use a 750 cfm carb?

dub 02-26-2013 10:52 PM

By your sarcasm, I would say.....yes. haha.
If a new one is needed, then i guess im out of packet another 500.
Would it best to get something bigger then a 750?

Thanks,

deckofficer 02-26-2013 10:56 PM

A 383 build using those parts should yield 400~450 HP. On my 383 build I went a different route, I wanted as much torque as low in the rpm band as possible. I dyno on a regular basis, my engine pulled 320 HP @ 4050 and 516 lb/ft @ 2800. Great for an RV or tow truck, but a real hoot in a 1790 lb Track-T with a 5 speed stick.

dub 02-26-2013 10:59 PM

I could imagine...
A 5 speed would be nice. But that would be the next project.

vinniekq2 02-26-2013 11:03 PM

383 carb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dub (Post 1651006)
By your sarcasm, I would say.....yes. haha.
If a new one is needed, then i guess im out of packet another 500.
Would it best to get something bigger then a 750?

Thanks,

what sarcasm?
I use a 950 on my engine.a 650 cant move enough air with a standard type camshaft to make much over 425 HP.
That cam you picked sounds like a 57-6,000 RPM cam,depending on ICL and LDA?
My car also uses an open plenum intake,I like mid range power more than off idle,different from that other fellas.
I too use a 5 speed,,,

dub 02-26-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1651012)
what sarcasm?
I use a 950 on my engine.a 650 cant move enough air with a standard type camshaft to make much over 425 HP.
That cam you picked sounds like a 57-6,000 RPM cam,depending on ICL and LDA?
My car also uses an open plenum intake,I like mid range power more than off idle,different from that other fellas.
I too use a 5 speed,,,

I like the video....Sounds really good...
I was kidding about the sarcasm. But i guess your probably right about the air movement. The heads that I am getting also offer a port job for a couple extra dollars. So it would make sense to get a bigger carb...
What type of 5 speed are you using? I am looking for options and best case scenario. The car is a 72 chevelle...
Thanks,

S10 Racer 02-26-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub (Post 1651002)
Hey All,
I am in the process of building a 383 stroker. Well, my motor guy is helping... anyway. Here is the specs

-350 block, bored .40 over.
-SCAT 375 aftermarket crank. Made for a stroker.
-Keith Black Claimer flat top pistons .40 over with 2 valve relief.
-procomp motorsports 6" connecting rods, I beam
-Lunati roller Cam and lifters. 242 duration, dont have all the specs on me right now..
-Dart SHP Aluminum 200cc Heads - Hand built with large springs, 10 deg hardware including 7/16" arp studs and guide plates as well as performance valves runs, Ferrea Stainless performance valves
-Holley DP 650
-RPM Performer air gap intake manifold.
-Long tube headers, 1 3/4 I believe.

Can anyone estimate a HP range. After all this i wont have alot of cash to dyno it. But an estimation would be nice.


Thanks,
MIke

For what it's worth, technically that would be a 385ci, not 383.

vinniekq2 02-26-2013 11:34 PM

I bought a brand new TKO 600. I ordered the .82 over drive. If you drag race,you might want the .68 overdrive depending on the rear axle ratio you use.The TKO/scattershield/shifter came to 3k. I also bought a lighter sfi approved steel flywheel.I use a diaphragm style clutch.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.