Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 Stroker Kit? Need Opinion
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most kits have a inherent low dollar parts element incorporated into them in order to achieve the selling price.It was the single most reason why I mixed parts to make up my 383.I spent the money on parts that I thought where over built and important to me like a Howards crank and the other parts that I thought where a good buy for the money like the Scat clearance ARP rods and I-Con pistons with forged tops and off-set pins to limit cold piston slap.Then bought Kings bearings which are a class act in every way.No performance advantage to full floater piston pins which has the potential of more things going wrong and over time wearing out the bushings so I went with press fit pins.

I agree with everyone else that all too often we see guys build 383's and when they get to the heads try to cheap out leaving way too much on the table.Guys get tangled up in what street cars should use vs what the correct combo for a drag race engine should use.In a race application you do want to tailor raise the power curve in the rpm range,but in a street engine it is a simple honest question of how many times are you going to be able to use that raised RPM in the course of a yr and get to use the money spent?? Torque is king on the street and not necessary HP.The 195cc intake runner is just about right for a street 383 or just about a 200 cc runner.You start getting around the 220 runner size and lose some of the bottom or need a looser T/C to take a advantage of it.

Do limit the SCR with steel heads to 9.5 or with aluminum heads 10.5 and a DCR of 8.5.In ther long run your be glad you did.