Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 Stroker Kit? Need Opinion
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Living In The Past

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I'm constantly amazed at the way fellows buy the cam before anything else, when the cam and converter should be the last two purchases.
Yeah, the camshaft is the 'brain' selected at the end of a build, used to link the compatibility of the other components, bring it all together, and help minimize the adverse effects of other less than optimum components. I think some guys LIKE the 'sound' of a cam , or the 'specs' of a cam, and then are all like " Oh I gotta run that cam cause it sounds so COOL! " then they shove a long cam into a low compression engine with loose quench, small intake runners, huge carb, stifled exhaust, low voltage spark, wide plug gap, stock stall converter, tall gears etc. Then start a tread titled ' "PLEASE HELP!" I just got blown off by a stock mustang or a ricer' and expect the HOTRODDER guys here to give a one word answer to FIX it all.
I know it ain't gonna change, and we all learn by our mistakes and by experience , hell , I did some stupid things when I was green, back when., put a negative overlap cam (low down 'stump puller) ' into a 12.5:1 engine and wound up with 275psi cylinder pressures , couldn't get the ping out of it , even on methanol , LOL! so I really shouldn't criticize , ha ha!!

We all live and learn...

Duke