383 stroker motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 383 stroker motor

I was tring to build my first 383 stroker and i need some help. i have a 350 4 bolt main block but i need to know what kind of crank to use. And also what kind of heads i need to use. and what comp. pistons i need to get. I have build a few 454 engines before. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 09:18 PM

Greetings!

I just built a 383 stroker for my pickup, and I'm sure there are many more savvy people than me to give you advise, but I'll tell you what I did:

Eagle Internally Balanced Cast Steel Crank
Eagle SIR 6 inch Rods with floating pins.
Cast Iron GM Heads 202 160 valves 76 cc
Sealed Power Hyperutectic pistons 9.6:1 compression
Comp Hydraulic Cam 292 duration with 510 lift
Edlebrock Victor Jr. Manifold
Edlebrock 600 cfm Carb
2800 stall torque converter

I'm very pleased with the massive torque this engine puts out, and it has a nice lope at idle. My advise is to research very carefully so that all your components match properly.

Be aware that you'll need to do some clearancing in the block at the oil pan rails, piston to crank, and rod to cam clearance. Make sure that all clearances are .050

Good luck..
Old 07-30-2004, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

My SCAT crank and H-beam rods are very good quality and had excellent machine work.

www.scatcrankshafts.com/FS_1024.htm
Old 07-30-2004, 09:43 PM

383 engine

Thanks for your help.

are looking to sell these items. thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I bought the SCAT 383 crank from Jegs and haven't had any problems. I think they're $239.
I have about 9.7:1 static compression, but I think my cam (the old L-79) is holding me back. I just bought a Comp XE274 to hopefully gain some more power.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

Ok it depeds on what you want to do with the engine. The basic kit from Eagle may be plenty for you and will have everything you need to build one all you have to do is pick rod length and pistons. Eagle comes with KB hyper... pistons you could some federal mongral forged ones if you are gonna have higer compression. As for the crank just get a kit one or one made for a 383... useing the old 400 crank just dosent work well anymore when they make cranks ready to use. Eagle will give you everything you need dampener flywheel rings everything which is nice and might save you some hastle of parts matching. If your gonna have high compression you better make sure you build the bottom end real good just for safety a hundred or so extra is worth not having the head ache of an engine flying apart...

Also you know the block has to be .30 over (355 block) for the kits to work eagle also makes kits for .40 over I believe

As for heads thats a coin toss I personally go with AFR you pick the CC... 195 are great street heads though you may want higher for the 383. Any of the major heads are great and most have close flow numbers. Dart ... pro topline all of them. I just like AFR's
Once you pick the pistons you brande you want then pick out a compression normal would be the 9.6 eagle has I believe but you can go way up from there it's up to you. 9.6 will work great and give you plenty of TQ and HP. Your final comp. may vary depending on other parts you use.

As stgjoe said watch the clearance in the block he went with 6.0 rods you can also use 5.7 (stock length) rods that should help that also a small base circle cam. As for the oil pan that watch carefully.(some macine work may be needed)

Final thought... Plan carefully pick out everything you want beforehand. Get parts that go together or that have been used and tested together. Be very careful of clearances and try not to skimp to much on the bottom end... the heads are up to you as are the pistons. most companies if you call will work with you to produce just what your looking for either scat or eagle just give them a call and you might find out things you didn't know!

Good luck!

Also to add to this let me tell you that you may want to get a good book that will point out all the finer points of doing this. Small things that you may not think about that could be very costly even for a good engine builder it's never to late you read and learn. I forgot to mention that if in fact you would use diffrent pistons warned that you then must look at weight. Cranckshaft bob weight vs rod and piston weight... sooo best bet is get a book read over a few times OR get a kit already set to go... Lots of fun (aka work) either way lol

Last edited by strikingthematch; 07-30-2004 at 10:53 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.