383 Stroker Starter Mesh Problem Answers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 Stroker Starter Mesh Problem Answers

The Starters On The 383 Strokers Have Been A Real Headache To Some Of Us.to Check The Mesh , I Removed The Selenoid And Manually Engaged The Starter Into The Ring Gear.my Mesh Was Too Loose. After Several Stock Starters, I Tried A Powermaster Mini Starter,still Too Wide . I Removed The Square Mounting Block Milled Off .100 And Tried Again.perfect Pattern.the Powermaster Removable Mounting Can Easilly Be Milled And Fit To Most Loose Mesh Problems. Hope You Can Use This Info.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 AM

did the same thing

My nephew had an issue with shallow running starter drive so I told my brother to use his bridgeport to mill off some of the pad then just shim it accordingly so he took off .100" and bolted it back up and it sounds great.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf
The Starters On The 383 Strokers Have Been A Real Headache To Some Of Us.
You can't single it out to "383 Strokers" as a problem motor. It's a 350 SBC, the fact it's stroked has nothing to do with it., Try to imagine how many SBC's are out there. Anyone not knowing the difference could be spooked away from building a 383, for no reason.

It sounds like more of a ring gear or flexplate problelm if a shim kit wouldn't correct it.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM

383 Stroker Starter Mesh Problems By Larry F

68 NOVA SS totally agree with you about the 383 starters.a 383 is nothing but a stroked 350.the only change here is the flexplate or flywheel .this should be 168 teeth built to oem specs .why are poeple having problems mainly with 383 ?google this for yourself.also check with your local partshouse look at 350 starters. is it possible someone built some flexplates not to oem specs ?dont know.lots ofquestions ,no answers.check threads on other forums ,they are several years old.mostly all 383 engines.easier to modify astarter than play with flexplates.this problem is not common but it does exist.i am just trying to show the way out of a very frustrating problem after a lot of research.i believe thats what this forum is all about. thanks,larry a newbie by the way ,nice nova

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.