Hot Rod Forum banner

383 Stroker Starter Mesh Problem Answers

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  larryf 
#1 ·
The Starters On The 383 Strokers Have Been A Real Headache To Some Of Us.to Check The Mesh , I Removed The Selenoid And Manually Engaged The Starter Into The Ring Gear.my Mesh Was Too Loose. After Several Stock Starters, I Tried A Powermaster Mini Starter,still Too Wide . I Removed The Square Mounting Block Milled Off .100 And Tried Again.perfect Pattern.the Powermaster Removable Mounting Can Easilly Be Milled And Fit To Most Loose Mesh Problems. Hope You Can Use This Info.

#3 ·
larryf said:
The Starters On The 383 Strokers Have Been A Real Headache To Some Of Us.
You can't single it out to "383 Strokers" as a problem motor. It's a 350 SBC, the fact it's stroked has nothing to do with it., Try to imagine how many SBC's are out there. Anyone not knowing the difference could be spooked away from building a 383, for no reason.

It sounds like more of a ring gear or flexplate problelm if a shim kit wouldn't correct it.

#4 ·
383 Stroker Starter Mesh Problems By Larry F

68 NOVA SS totally agree with you about the 383 starters.a 383 is nothing but a stroked 350.the only change here is the flexplate or flywheel .this should be 168 teeth built to oem specs .why are poeple having problems mainly with 383 ?google this for yourself.also check with your local partshouse look at 350 starters. is it possible someone built some flexplates not to oem specs ?dont know.lots ofquestions ,no answers.check threads on other forums ,they are several years old.mostly all 383 engines.easier to modify astarter than play with flexplates.this problem is not common but it does exist.i am just trying to show the way out of a very frustrating problem after a lot of research.i believe thats what this forum is all about. thanks,larry a newbie by the way ,nice nova ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.