383 stroker still pass oil by..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 10:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 stroker still pass oil by.....

Kind of despair here....need help!here's the case: a 383 stroker recent rebuilt motor approx. 1300 miles on it,KB pistons,moly rings,Brodix street heads that were not rebuilt at the same time but apparently have little use on them. compression ratio of 10.25.

I first installed after the rebuilt edelbrock,unbaffled valve covers and had PCV valve installed on driver side breather passenger side. The engine has no leaks that's sure and then it was consumming about a quart at 250 miles! Swapped those valve covers for baffled type reducing it to about 1 quart for 500 miles....

Now I had just changed the seal valves since it was smoking at starting;the valve seals were indeed done the exhaust ones were kind of rubber type and they were the ones done. So no more blue smoke at starting but still gets 1 quart/4-500 miles!! Carb. runs rich at around 13.7 ratio. Sparks dark brown,tail pipe soothy .

I took a compression test of the cyl. and all came out at 205-210 PSI.

Where the heck this oil is going to?? I suspect the PCV letting a lot of oil being sucked in the carb....can it be by that much?

I am cruising at around 2700/3000 RPM and my on dash vacuum gauge indicates the 22-23 HG of vacuum...isn't this very high hence keeping the PCV always open hence the oil getting up the carb.?? If this is are they different (heavyer) PCV valves thought for similar situations??

I just don't know what to look at anymore and ready to throw the towel...advices please!

thanks, Ronald.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The problem is you already figured out, the PCV valve is sucking in oil, my car still does this, and I haven`t really found a way to stop it completely other than slowing it down, I`ve looked into the stock set up, and most of them use a breather system in the stock air cleaner, and I think it somewhat restricts the amount of air it can pull, so much that it doesn`t pull oil into the valve but this is just a theory. my parents 94 crown vic suffers from this problem, i can let the car sit and idle for 10 minutes, rev it, and it smokes bad for about 20 seconds, I can take the valve out and wait longer, it doesn`t smoke at all.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Well, the pcv needs to have a good baffle in the valve cover or it will suck all kinds of oil into the manifold.

Running the engine extreemly rich will wash all the oil film off the cylinder walls and greatly speed up ring wear.

Chrome moly rings will seat in about the same time the cam breaks in. One thing though, the Keith Black pistons need much more top ring gap than most other pistons. They reflect alot more heat back into the combustion chamber and the very top of the piston runs pretty hot. KB recommends .027" gap on the top ring only. If the rings were not filed to the larger gap, its possible that the top ring expanded to far and has scuffed the cylinder walls and has chinked up the oil rings too. Compression could still be up there, but using some oil now.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:34 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

One think do you have a fresh air return(either open element or that oem pipe that goes to the air fliter)for your PCV system???This is esential for the system to work right.The pcv sucks out the vapors and the return draws in fresh air.
Also I've heard that oil consumption is least when the PCV is put in the drivers side front.Also make sure you've got a good bafle for the PCV.I've heard of people cutting the stock ones out of there old valve covers and tacking them in the new ones.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Relocate the PCV valve between the valves or install/fabricate an extension so the oil cannot travel up the tube the valve is in. You can even fill the tube with Scotch Brite scrub pads or steel wool to aid in drain back. You can also create a expansion tube somewhere in line to combate the tendency to suck oil through.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:18 PM

What would happen if u just took out the pcv valve and replaced it with lets say a bolt to completely block it off? Kinda like the edlebrock valve covers with no pcv valve in them ? Replace the hole with a oil breather? Will this harm the engine in any way? thanks
Old 10-26-2003, 10:50 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

While you can do this, I wouldn`t, the PCV valve rids the engine of blow by gasses which keeps the oil cleaner.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

and prevents pressure from building in the crankcase. The pressure can get high enough to cause ring flutter and even blow oil past Valve cover gaskets and the front and rear main seals.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

It would be really easy to see if it is the PCV. Replace it with a $5 breather and see if your problem goes away. I usually dont run PCV personally, just two breathers.

Chris
Old 10-27-2003, 03:27 PM

So if i replace the hole with a oil breather i should be ok thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 05:12 PM

I"m afraid I don't agree with running with out a pcv valve. The pcv system helps allow condensation to escape and reduces acids forming in the oil why keeping slightly negative pressure in the crank case. I would never consider running with out one how ever as a way to check to see that is where the oil is going i"m sure it would be fine for a short period.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM

So a oil breather like the k&n oil breather will not substitute for a pcv valve ?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:12 PM
If you Can Dream it, You can D

I do not think its your pcv. That is an easy fix make sure yiu have a vent on the other valve cover. I think you messed-up big time when you rebuilt your engine. An engine builder once told me there are a 1000's ways to re-build an engine and only 1 correct way. Sorry for the bad news. You better let a pro do it next time.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:14 PM

Well the breathers like that one k&n sell are ok but you sill need to use them in conjection with a pcv in the other valve cover just like 78 monte said keep it simalar to how the factory did it it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.