383 stroker turbo questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 stroker turbo questions

I am new here and I am wanting to try to put a turbo on my 383 stroker. I don't really know too much about turbo's, and everybody I know that races run blowers and I want to be a little different from them. What I was wanting to know is first off will my engine be capable of having a turbo with the current parts I have? My motor is a .030 350 with a 383 crank .010main. I have Pro TopLine Lightning 23deg aluminum 220 heads with a 72cc. Scorpion roller rockers with .0100 oversized harden pushrods. Comp Cam 274 int./286 exh. with 0.487 int./0.490 exh. lift. Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake (1 inch taller) with a holley 800cfm double pumper. Holley blue electric fuel pump. Hedman Husler headers. A hamburger 7quart oil pan, and a pete jackson noisy gear drive. I think thats all. In case it wasn't obvious I am only 21 and I am just getting to where I can afford to do stuff and I wanna learn more. I am open to any suggestions. I am hoping to get about 375hp out of what I have now without a turbo, but my main question is can I have one with what I have now? Anybody got any suggestions on about how much hp I may have now? Thank you any help is greatly appreciated. sorry if I forgot anything. I have never learned anything from someone that always agreed with me.

Advertisement

Last edited by work_n_progress; 02-27-2005 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Blistering Speed

Last photo:

Check this site out.
www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-products.cfm

Banks Talks Tech

Banks Twin-Turbo engine

Twin-Turbo V8 Facts of Life

Few People Have Ever Experienced Really High Horsepower.

By C.J. Baker

Cut and paste violation, please read the board guidelines.

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 06-23-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Copy-pasting. Please see: copy-pasting guidelines.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I see a few things that need to change for a turbo. The cam is out the door. It would be fine, but you need a cam with 112-114 lsa and I dont think the comp has that. I am not sure what your CR is, but as long as you are not over about 9.5:1 it should be fine. Higher than that and you would have to run race gas. The carb would have to be modified a little and you would need a fuel pump capable of 6psi plus however much boost you plan to run. Usually it takes an EFI pump to get this. You then need a boost referenced FPR like a Mallory 4309 or similiar. Then you just start piping.

I have been through this so I can answer most of your questions.

Chris
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

do you have a forged bottom end?
pistons ,crank, rods?
if not I would go with the smallest boost possible.
I got a 383 with a F1 procharger in my 69 camaro.
I didnt have forged lower end and paid the price of a new block.
(cast crank blew apart)
So after 4800.00 I got a new lower end with all forged parts and car is a rocket now.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:17 AM

Sorry it was late lastnight and I forgot about the bottom end. I believe I have a forged crank with eagle rods and keith black flat top pistons. I also forgot to add that I have a set of March serpetine conversion kit pulleys on the way and should be here sometime this week. Thanx for the help, everybody else I have asked at other sites tried to degrade me and make me feel stupid for even askin a question. Once again thanx

Chad
Old 03-01-2005, 02:18 AM

I have to hijack here for second. hey DAWG I'm curious about the F1 setup your running. Any track times? How much boost? intercooled or non? Approx how much HP you putting down? I'm in the works of an F1R on my 406 just got the engine tore down for a piston change amoungst other things.

Work_n_progress It would probably be alot easier for you to bolt on a supercharger kit if you want boost. I would have gone turbo but it seemed like a bigger pain in the *** than just bolting on a procharger kit with directions included. Not to mention turbo seemed more expensive & more fab work was involved than just bolting on a procharger kit. But if you want to be different go with it.

I took the easier route because I didnt want to run into many complications and can get a good amount of power out of a blower.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:22 AM

turbo set up...

hey, dose anyone know what type/size turbo would be good for a 383 stroker motor. i dropped it into my 79 camaro a while back and just finished up the bottom end and have been working on the top now but i wanted to put a twin turbo kit on it for a while now. but i dont really know what type of turbo to look for. this is my first muscle car,(yea i was a tuner freak till i got dusted by a roadrunner,lol) and i wanna do it right ya know...so if anyone can help i would appreciate it,

thanx,JP
Old 01-23-2009, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

put the 350 crank back in to lower the compression.

check out this site.

http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm
Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 AM

planning on doing the same...

hey folks, im new at this so bare with me for a sec. lol

i have a 79 z28 camaro w/ 383 stroker as well that i bought already pritty hooked up as far as the motor, but the problem is i have no clue as to wat parts are in it besides a cam, pistons, roller rockers, full exaust, rear end, and gears...

the guy showed me dyno print outs that he pulled in the car right after he dropped the motor in and it was pushin a lil over 425hp to the wheels. but i want more from it so i wanted to go twin turbo on it, but im not sure on what all i would need for the setup.

wats tha minimum size turbo needed to actually "feel" a difforence?
is a intercooler needed?
where would i go to get the piping done?
besides turbos, intercooler, wastgates, and blowoff vaulves. what else is needed to have a complete setup?
wat is belived to be better? rear setup where the turbos are closer to the fire wall or front setup where there towards the front bumper?

i was a tuner freak as well b 4 but i never got as far as a turbo upgrade but ive driven friends cars that were turboed and loved the whole experiance of it.

i hosistly just want a great street car. strip times arent too important to racers here in las vegas. ive already beat a 09 challenger twice in it but he still kept up with me by about a half a car length, i wanna murder em next time 1 steps to me at a light thoe! lol thats why im doing this upgrade.

thanx for the help, and sorry for the dumb questions but im still a newby to turbos and muscle cars all together,lol.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM

could anyone help me out on how to oil the turbo's on a twin turbo setup , on a chevy 388 stroker.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsracing3
could anyone help me out on how to oil the turbo's on a twin turbo setup , on a chevy 388 stroker.
Rather than hijack this thread, start another with your questions.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.