383 stroker v.s. 383 chrysler ...the end - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:00 PM
killerformula's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northeast
Age: 33
Posts: 3,485
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharger440
ok well since we are just goung to tread water and we all want to bring other variables into account lets just do what all the importers do "my car runs 10.50 ...well mine runs 10.20" why is yours faster you ask well i have an acura and we all know that they are faster than hondas. duh i agree the test could be off but there is no deffinants out there if i made the exact same car twice you would all say " well that one is a high nickel block" or "the air temprature was wrong" or some other b.s. correct me when you go to the extent that i did untill then ta ta
I can't understand that post at all. Second I don't see how these are equal builds because you say your chevy has dart 210cc heads and dart doesn't even make cylinder heads for big block mopars.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Sir Joab's Avatar
MOPAR Guy
 

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Arlington WA
Age: 26
Posts: 187
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharger440
like i said 427 chevi v.s. 400 chry
i dont have eather but i think it to be alot closer race
That would be another cool comparison.

Chevy 427 v.s. MOPAR 426?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Mopar make 2 versions of the 383?
Yes, but one was an RB and the other a B block. The only difference was that the RB had a 3.375 stroke vs the B block's 3.38. A 0.005 in difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2008, 12:52 AM
DR132's Avatar
Sophisticated Minimalist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ALASKA
Age: 23
Posts: 120
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
I can't understand that post at all. Second I don't see how these are equal builds because you say your chevy has dart 210cc heads and dart doesn't even make cylinder heads for big block mopars.

K
he was basically saying that pretty much no matter what people will make excuses and or point out differences between engines and claim it is an unequal comparison even if there really isn't much difference...also i think he was saying he had dart 210cc heads on the chevy and SIMILAR performing heads on the mopar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cubes are cubes.

The fact remains there are so many variables in this 383 argument that 98% of the conclusions are invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Joab




Yes, but one was an RB and the other a B block. The only difference was that the RB had a 3.375 stroke vs the B block's 3.38. A 0.005 in difference.
WRONG

The short deck 383 B engine had 3.38 (sometimes listed as 3.375) stroke and the tall deck 383 RB engine had 3.75 stroke.

That's 3 3/8 verses 3 3/4........... a full 3/8 inch longer.

By the way, there is a heck of a weight difference between crankshafts
and
IMO rod length is pretty irrelavent unless gross extremes are considered.

********
That said,
a relatively stock Mopar 383B will kick a SBC 383 butt most all the time, apples to apples.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 08-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 AM
pontiacjosh's Avatar
84 stroked ss
 

Last journal entry: exhaust
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: indiana
Age: 33
Posts: 150
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
i think it dont matter imo because its just crazy to argue about that because im a chevy guy and dont plan on buying a dodge engine just because its faster or whatever because i can blow up a chevy engine and you can blow up a dodge engine and i can fix mine for half the price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
DR132's Avatar
Sophisticated Minimalist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ALASKA
Age: 23
Posts: 120
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacjosh
i think it dont matter imo because its just crazy to argue about that because im a chevy guy and dont plan on buying a dodge engine just because its faster or whatever because i can blow up a chevy engine and you can blow up a dodge engine and i can fix mine for half the price
except nowadays that is not nearly quite so true, the price difference in parts is growing smaller and smaller between chevys and everything else...yeah a small block chevy will be cheaper to build, but a small block ford or mopar really does not cost very much more to build, especially if you know how to shop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 PM
pontiacjosh's Avatar
84 stroked ss
 

Last journal entry: exhaust
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: indiana
Age: 33
Posts: 150
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
ya i undertsand but just for instance look at a elderbrock intake for a chevy and then 1 for a dodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Double_v23's Avatar
Horsepower Enthusiast
 

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 1,495
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To make the test more accurate I would do a few things, the biggest being to stick the motors in the same car. Like bogie said.

Just run this test on a Dyno, if the engines are built similarly then the one making more power will win. That way you take out all the variables in the cars.

But I am sure there are things that you would do differently on a mopar than on a chevy. Just like there are things you do differently when building a big block chevy as compared to a small block.

So if you built the motors exactly the same then you would be handicapping one or both of the engines in certain areas.

And finally, you have way to much head and carb on the chevy...no wonder it is a pooch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:52 AM
wedgehead63's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: New Attitude
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn Ky
Posts: 48
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
I can answer this one the Chevy is a small block and the other is a big block, according to some. But one pair of cars and a few runs, although useful info. Really can not be considered the final answer, I am thinking.

One thing I see is that the Chevy drivers are not afraid to drive their cars, while on the other hand the other brand tells all of us how powerful the iron is but are to afraid to drive cause they break all the time and cost a lot to repair and cry about it, so who IS having the most fun here???
If not obvious it is the Chevy crowd, by the way.
I MUST take offense to this one. I own several MOPARS as well as a Buick Grand National. I have never been nor will I ever be "afraid" to drive them. As for "breaking all the time", there is a reason there are so few original dz302 camaro engines left. Respect for limits of anything mechanical is the answer. I'd still rather thumb a ride with a MOPAR lug nut in my pocket rather than ride in a bowtie! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a newbie here, but would like to put my $.02 in with a little story.

I have a longtime friend that is "mopar from the git-go". I had just built a new engine for my modified (small block chevy). During the main event the engine grenaded. After the race my buddy couldn't wait to get to our pits to tell me that if that had been a mopar, it would not have blown. I just looked at him and said: What broke in the motor was one of the 6 1/8" mopar rods that I bought from you!
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 PM
wedgehead63's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: New Attitude
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn Ky
Posts: 48
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's asking a lot for Mopar parts to not want out of a chevy block! lol I'll admit it must be nice to be able to buy engine parts at the local drug store. I can here it now, "I need a Playboy magazine, the free trial size pack of Viagra, and a cam for my small block."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chillicothe oh
Age: 46
Posts: 1,445
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Mr. Yunik said "An engine can't read it don't know the name on the valve cover" .This will never end as each brand has its loyalists. Enjoy what you have run what ya like and be glad any of them are still around.The chevy guy will say price, light weight over the mopar.How ever Mr Ford lover will say My 5.0 weighs 75 lbs less than the chebby.Then Mr. Buick will point out the small Buford is lighter than either and the big Buford only weighs a few lbs more than the chebby.It never ends I like Chevy because i like em(Also work on ford all day long which can color your outlook).In my roundy round days Chevy has won the majority of races due to the fact 95% or more were chevrolet, One buddy had a bad ford(700 hp) it won when it stayed together which was not often.Any engine can be made to run well ,shortcomings can be addressed Chevy's big advantage was being the first light weight AFFORDABLE mass produced V8.Oh yeah the reason not to many DZ 302 engines survived was not many were built ,how many Boss 302 or tunnel port 302 engines are around either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
killerformula's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northeast
Age: 33
Posts: 3,485
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 13
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR132
he was basically saying that pretty much no matter what people will make excuses and or point out differences between engines and claim it is an unequal comparison even if there really isn't much difference...also i think he was saying he had dart 210cc heads on the chevy and SIMILAR performing heads on the mopar...
But that's really the point, isn't it? There are differences in these engines that aren't represented by valve size and cam duration.

This is an unequal comparison. The only thing similar about these two engines is the number of cubic inches. Other than that, they're vastly different. Bore and stroke ratios are totally different, the runner lengths are nowhere near the same etc. So just slapping some "similar" parts on two motors with a single common characteristic and really nothing else the same is, in fact, an unfair comparison. Its certainly not anything you can draw a definitive conclusion from. That's why I think this thread is ridiculous.

K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 AM
DR132's Avatar
Sophisticated Minimalist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ALASKA
Age: 23
Posts: 120
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
But that's really the point, isn't it? There are differences in these engines that aren't represented by valve size and cam duration.

This is an unequal comparison. The only thing similar about these two engines is the number of cubic inches. Other than that, they're vastly different. Bore and stroke ratios are totally different, the runner lengths are nowhere near the same etc. So just slapping some "similar" parts on two motors with a single common characteristic and really nothing else the same is, in fact, an unfair comparison. Its certainly not anything you can draw a definitive conclusion from. That's why I think this thread is ridiculous.

K
you are right the engines are entirely different and thats what makes it such a good comparison in my opinion...in arguments/comparisons like these it seems people will ALWAYS point out differences, make exceptions/excuses and claim the competition is unfair...well unless the two engines and testing conditions are absolutely identicle in every possible way then someone will always be able to claim it is an unfair comparison even when there is a clear winner someone will say "yeah well, if johnny was driving then the chevy woulda won, johnny really knows how to drive and that other guy just wasn't launchin the chevy right" or if its really obvious that their favorite lost they could point out some other field in which they believe their preferred engine would be superior such as durability, towing, fuel mileage, driveability etc...the list goes on...the differences are what makes it worth comparing these engines to see which one is FASTER...you're not going to ever get rid of differences between ANY engines and you can always do something to make any given engine produce more power and thus outperform another engine it used to get smoked by...thats just how it works, the thread starter built the two engines to about as close specifications as the average person would be able to and then tested them to see which one was faster, I don't see whats wrong with that and I don't really understand why he's getting so much flak for it, no it does not prove that a 383 Mopar will always be superior to a 383 SBC it just shows that his mopar went faster then his chevy and they were built to similar levels and yeah there are things which could be done to make it a more even test but they weren't done in his test so instead of everyone arguing about it and saying what would make the test better why don't you all go build your own engines and do your own comparison...OK, I'm done now, sorry for the long ranting post, I'm not trying to start an internet fight with anyone just venting a bit over some annoyances...and killerformula, I do actually agree with most of your points in the post of yours I quoted...cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a budget 383 stroker build using a stock 400 GM Crank Mustangsaly Engine 8 10-15-2007 12:57 PM
383 Stroker Question thebellman Engine 3 02-01-2007 02:56 PM
hp of a 383 stroker mathjew Hotrodding Basics 5 11-02-2004 10:14 PM
383 stroker markiemyster Engine 10 02-13-2004 06:36 AM
target master 350 to 383 stroker 85CHEVY Engine 1 10-24-2003 08:32 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.