383 stroker v.s. 383 chrysler ...the end - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM
pepi's Avatar
How’s that hopey-changey thing
 
Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Georgia ... USA
Posts: 1,835
Wiki Edits: 8

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharger440
first did you not read my last post where is stated this is not a fair trial if you didnt thats fine but dont post and tell me i am wrong
second i drive the sh** out of my mopars and have alot of fun and also keep in mind a well restored mopar is worth alot of money nothing against chevy but on the whole restored mopars are worht more than restored chevys ... but this is a whole other conversation you all asked which is better i tested i posted thats all ......read before you leap thanks
Talk about not reading or is it just missing the point, leaping off a cliff. hope you have a parachute... I do not think I said you were wrong , that is your own mind at work.
Second if all one can say is mine is worth more then yours, that is a lame argument from the get go. Money comes and goes and value rises and falls, mopars are only valuable cause MOST rusted into dirt and therefore means less around, therefor raising the value . Does not equate to product reliability or engineering, just availability.
You really sound upset and defensive for someone that has the most valuable car, coolest ride. Anyway you are wrong about my post just to dot the I...
I only like and am interested in American iron it is the owners that are the problem. Take a breath I am just having fun, mopar guys sure have some thin skin,
I am still thinking Chevy guys have more fun ....

    Advertisement

Last edited by pepi; 08-21-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
wedgehead63's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: New Attitude
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn Ky
Posts: 48
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
As Mr. Yunik said "An engine can't read it don't know the name on the valve cover" .This will never end as each brand has its loyalists. Enjoy what you have run what ya like and be glad any of them are still around.The chevy guy will say price, light weight over the mopar.How ever Mr Ford lover will say My 5.0 weighs 75 lbs less than the chebby.Then Mr. Buick will point out the small Buford is lighter than either and the big Buford only weighs a few lbs more than the chebby.It never ends I like Chevy because i like em(Also work on ford all day long which can color your outlook).In my roundy round days Chevy has won the majority of races due to the fact 95% or more were chevrolet, One buddy had a bad ford(700 hp) it won when it stayed together which was not often.Any engine can be made to run well ,shortcomings can be addressed Chevy's big advantage was being the first light weight AFFORDABLE mass produced V8.Oh yeah the reason not to many DZ 302 engines survived was not many were built ,how many Boss 302 or tunnel port 302 engines are around either.

My point was that the owner's heavy foot can put them all in the scrap yard. Some engines seem to be able to rev unlimited, or so we think until they puke their guts. No brand is immune to the lead foot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
But that's really the point, isn't it? There are differences in these engines that aren't represented by valve size and cam duration.

This is an unequal comparison. The only thing similar about these two engines is the number of cubic inches. Other than that, they're vastly different. Bore and stroke ratios are totally different, the runner lengths are nowhere near the same etc. So just slapping some "similar" parts on two motors with a single common characteristic and really nothing else the same is, in fact, an unfair comparison. Its certainly not anything you can draw a definitive conclusion from. That's why I think this thread is ridiculous.

K
But DIFFERENCE IS the point,
That different "specs and designs" do produce different results.
The biggest Mopar/Chevy difference is bore diameter and combustion chamber designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharger440
....oh and ps the camaro is 3100 lbs...
What'd ya leave off the doors, hood, seats, and trunk??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: QUENCH AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!
Posts: 95
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are people still posting here? It's an apples to kiwi comparison at best! Go right ahead and build a chevy using what works best on a dodge, A chev 6cyl head flows better than a ported dodge head. Never mind "210cc afr heads" With a 486 cam?? "Had a machinist make em"? ***, unless he was a CAM machinist, nobody just whips up a cam. Especially a turd 486 solid. B, a 383 chev and 383 dodge are two totally different beasts, and if you ran a 486 solid in a dodge ( which is in the range of the original purple cam minus the fact a purple is a hydraulic) It would run pretty good. 13.90's sounds close. Besides the fact the chev is .100 under cammed, it would still run faster than that. I build circle track 2 barrel restricted engines with 9 to1, stock rod length, stock cast iron heads, 194 150 74cc's w/ 1.250 valve springs, cast iron 2 barrel intake, stock rockers and rams horn exhaust manifolds all unported, an actual custom hyd cam, made by a 'cam company' in the 530 lift range, and no engine porting and a strong one will make 325 HP. How the frig do you put aluminum heads, 10 to 1 and all that other crap on something with 30 cubic inches on that little unported 355, and it runs 13.90's?? I edited this post to show i'm not a total ***, and to say there are dodges in that class. They run either 340's or 360's, same unported rules, save the fact they are allowed 64cc heads, 202 160's, ( because thats all that you can get from the factory) and because of their large lifters and larger than chev valve springs, they do have a horspower advantage, due to the fact you can run pretty much any cam lift and duration. A strong one will make 340-350 hp. Read this guys post again. he's just a dodge freak looking for other dodge freak's so maybe they can combine and become AMC weirdoes.

Last edited by enginejr; 08-24-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
richard stewart 3rd's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: tremont, pa.
Age: 69
Posts: 2,217
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Hi,
The thing I have a problem with is this brand loyalty thing, I've built &
ran all three, mopar,ford & chevy, & in the early days I'd use
olds or caddy engines & sell the flat heads that I took out,
none of these manufacturers cared about me, except for getting
parts money, or maybe selling me a new car, they never offered
to help me with anything, & I'm sure the same is true in your case, so why the loyalty?
At present I'm doing three engines & a car 74 nova, a F150, & I'm going to look at a falcon for the Cleavland, a 454,351C,&351W,I'm doing these because of the deals I got on them, it could have just as easily
bin a mopar, I have no brand loyalty, I build & enjoy what's available in my price range.
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Mez Mez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 22
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great test

Ill agree that one is a small block and one is a big block but they were both the same cubic inch and you chubby guys claim the small block chubby is the best motor ever built. sure put a victor manifold and huge carb why not throw nitrous at it while your there . I thought the test was pretty fair although one is a big block the other has a huge weight advantage. We race dirt cars on oval tracks and only get 200 to 250 lbs when we run a small block against a big block so you test may not be perfect but its not far off. By the way I'll run my 383 stock mopar against any stock chubby 350 at WOT lets see whos last longer afraid to drive my car HUH! We oval track dirt racers will hold are cars wide open all day long. How come whenever chevy guy compare their motors to mopars their motors are always built and ours are mostly stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM
runn141's Avatar
SB S10
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,258
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez
Ill agree that one is a small block and one is a big block but they were both the same cubic inch and you chubby guys claim the small block chubby is the best motor ever built. sure put a victor manifold and huge carb why not throw nitrous at it while your there . I thought the test was pretty fair although one is a big block the other has a huge weight advantage. We race dirt cars on oval tracks and only get 200 to 250 lbs when we run a small block against a big block so you test may not be perfect but its not far off. By the way I'll run my 383 stock mopar against any stock chubby 350 at WOT lets see whos last longer afraid to drive my car HUH! We oval track dirt racers will hold are cars wide open all day long. How come whenever chevy guy compare their motors to mopars their motors are always built and ours are mostly stock.
do you run a mopar on the dirt track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,172
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez
Ill

How come whenever chevy guy compare their motors to mopars their motors are always built and ours are mostly stock.
Whine.

There is cam gear whine
There is blower belt whine
There is turbo whine

Then there is the Chebby whine, which sounds something like this.......

"My big block 502 with dominators and nitrous will kick your 302's class every time".

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
boatbob2
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: north florida
Age: 76
Posts: 1,374
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
383 engines

Hi MCHARGER,i agree with you,no matter what you do,someone is going to say you shoulda coulda, and if it was me i woulda, but i dont see anyone offering to put up the money for you to build 2 identical engines (mopar and chevy) then putting them into exactly the same weight cars. you done good thumbs up.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #41 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 6,762
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 426 Times in 365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez
Ill agree that one is a small block and one is a big block but they were both the same cubic inch and you chubby guys claim the small block chubby is the best motor ever built. sure put a victor manifold and huge carb why not throw nitrous at it while your there . I thought the test was pretty fair although one is a big block the other has a huge weight advantage. We race dirt cars on oval tracks and only get 200 to 250 lbs when we run a small block against a big block so you test may not be perfect but its not far off. By the way I'll run my 383 stock mopar against any stock chubby 350 at WOT lets see whos last longer afraid to drive my car HUH! We oval track dirt racers will hold are cars wide open all day long. How come whenever chevy guy compare their motors to mopars their motors are always built and ours are mostly stock.
Racers are a pretty fickle lot, the purpose of racing is to win, not to fall in love with Chev, or Mopar or Ford. Therefore, one may assume that if a Mopar 383 was a more competitive design than an over-sized SBC, racers would beat a path to MoPar's front door to get the engine that puts them in the winners circle, 'cause that's what gets you the babe's and the cash.

Bogie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #42 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 6
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharger440
whats goin on guys i honestly can put to rest this 383 v.s. 383 stroker argument, i build engines ... well whole cars here in oklahoma, engines are my thing though. i have a 383 stroker chebie and a mopar 383 i built just for this arguement. ill start with the chebie 3.75 stroke 4.030 bore with speed pro powerforged pistons(10.00:1 comp) 4340 h-beam rods dart 210 cc heads 64cc chambers (cast iron) with 2.05 1.60 stainless valves edlebrock torker 2 intake and a demon 850 mech. carb the cams are identical had a machinest make em they are a dual patten 286 .486 intake side, 292 .486 exhaust side( at the valve with 1.5 roller rockers, msd 6al and pro billet distributors on both they are both ballanced and are solid lifter, the only diff is the mopar is 9.85:1 comp and the intake valve on the mopar is 2.08.

the fun part the chebie is in a 78 camaro with a 3500 stall and turbo 350 with spool and 3.55, the mopar is in a 73 charger with a 727 and 3500 stall 3.55
gears both leave on the brake at 3000 rpm and both have 28.0 15 11.5 slicks
drum role please the charger wins by 1/2 to 1 full car legnth 5 out of 5 races 13.70 to a 13.90 average
oh and ps the camaro is 3100 lbs the charger is 3750 lololololololol
dude. seriously if thats all that motor is making, something is REALLY wrong with it. that is CRAWLING. my stock bottome end 406 w/ 180cc heads runs 11.60s on motor with less compression. i think u have a LOT more potential there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #43 (permalink)  
Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Mez Mez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 22
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to ScoTFrenzel

Thats exactly what I am talking about. I cant stand whiners and someone else asked if I run Mopar on the dirt. No I don't because they wont allow it in my class. But just to let you all know I have 5 fords 2 mopars and 1 Chevy in my boat and 1 Chevy in the race car and 1 olds in my jet boat. I am partial to Mopars but I am not ignorant to the fact that there are other great engines out there. But "usually" Chevy guys are shall we say well never mind. Whomever said us Mopar guys are afraid to run them just (*&&% me off! Once on a nice calm day I took my jet boat from grassy point to Clayton and back 14 miles @ WOT the entire time at 70 miles per hour on water and if you think a Mopar is expensive to build you should try an olds motor. I'm not afraid to rev up any motor and none of the Mopar guys in my area are either. I see lots of Chevy's at the races put a lot of power out and scream rpms for hours when they are built and Ive got nothing against that. Chevy has built some good engines also. But I don't think the SBC is the best engine ever built as a die hard Chevy guy does. Nor would I say all Chevy guys are afraid to drive their cars that would be ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #44 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a lame *** arguement. I'm pullin it outta the dregs to argue some more. The chebbie sucks big sweatty nasty balls. They have a ghey 1.52 rod to stroke ratio. The 383 has a 1.88 using the SHORT (6.358") rods. Read that and weep chebbie homos. If we use the 6.768 440 rod in the 383 then it has a 2.0 rod to stroke ratio. "But you can change this and that.....blah blah blah" yall are dumbasses. What do you want? To compare two chebbie 383 engines? Sounds like it to me. I tell you what. Instead of that, let's leave the chebbie STOCK bore and stroke and leave it a 350. Since you're not stroking the 383 to make it a stroker, it's not a fair comparison. Want a better comparison? Compare a 350 with a Chrysler 360. You'll get the same result. The Chrysler will walk away from the chebbie everytime.....and with factory heads. I saw no aftermarket heads in the comparison, so the Chrysler stomped ***. Put some aftermarket heads and a stroker kit in the 383 Chrysler. Yeah, I know. You chebbie guys are too pussified to try that. The only reason chebbies are so "******" is because Bill France and Wally Parks loved chebbies so much they sanctioned Mopar out of NASCAR and NHRA. Read the history books. The only competition Mopar ever had that was close was Ford. chebbie only won because of the sanctions dealt in their favor. You wanna talk about how ****** chebbie is? Then face all the facts. chebbie sucks balls. always has and always will. Homos drive chebbies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #45 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM
DoubleVision's Avatar
Not Considered a Senior Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Heart Of Dixie
Age: 40
Posts: 10,655
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 59 Times in 56 Posts
Boy boy boy your really showing your age as well as your IQ and both appear to be the same as well as low numbers. This thread you replied to is 4 years old. Look at the dates before you post. Half the guys who replied to the thread aren't even here anymore so they don't care just as the rest of us don't. A real hot rodder builds what he can afford and if that just happens to be a chevrolet then so be it. It's not the rodders fault Chevrolet followed the pattern of parts interchangability which not only makes parts cheaper but also makes working on them easier. A real hot rodder also has respect for other makes of performance engines such as Mopar, Ford, AMC, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, etc. Even so we maybe rivals on the track or in any form of racing where money is at stake no matter, the respect is still there, and that respect is what a real man has for his fellow rodder and that's what a true hot rodder is. I would rather shake the man's hand who just outrun me in whatever make he's racing with and be his friend by having a beer with him rather than go over to him acting like a punk and start the possibility of getting my teeth knocked out for disrespecting the man for no reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a budget 383 stroker build using a stock 400 GM Crank Mustangsaly Engine 8 10-15-2007 12:57 PM
383 Stroker Question thebellman Engine 3 02-01-2007 02:56 PM
hp of a 383 stroker mathjew Hotrodding Basics 5 11-02-2004 10:14 PM
383 stroker markiemyster Engine 10 02-13-2004 06:36 AM
target master 350 to 383 stroker 85CHEVY Engine 1 10-24-2003 08:32 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.