Hot Rod Forum banner

383 very rich idle

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bubbahotep 
#1 ·
Hello, ive had this engine for about a year and had always had 2 spark plugs that ran leaner than the rest of the plugs. Well i found that the intake had a leak in the front and also a little oil was seeping out, thats how i found the intake leak. Before I fixed the intake leak i was getting about 12hg vacuum at idle, now Im getting almost 17hg at idle at 850RPM. Now im having an issue where when i tune the carb optimally at idle for the highest rpm and vacuum, the plugs are a nice tan color after a drive, but it smells extremely rich and smokes horriblly. I have a holley double pumper 750 with a 6.5hg powervalve in the primaries and a block off in the secondaries. Im not sure what the jets are because its been a few months since ive had it apart.

What should i do to correct the rich idle? Before i fixed the vacuum leak I was getting about 15 city and up to 25 highway.

#2 ·
Is the smoking, black smoke, while driving or idle?

I assume the idle adjustment screws won't lean out the idle?

Jetting has nothing to do with idle, billowing black smoke accelerating, could be a jetting problem, high fuel pressure, float adjustment or stuck floats.

Can you see fuel dumping at idle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.