Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383HT exhaust recommendatations
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383HT exhaust recommendatations

I built a clone to the GM 383HT. I am at the point of putting together the exhaust system. The engine is in my 1949 F-1 truck. It sits in front of a 700R4 and 9 inch ford running 3.70 gears. The way that I will use the truck has not changed i.e. low to mid range torque to tow up to a 5000 lb. trailer and I do want to stay with the 2" GM angled back rams horn manifolds for reasons of fit (around my Jag IFS) and $ (I own them). I had a lot of help on the forum in the past and want to stay with my OEM curved down rams horn exhaust manifolds (2 inch diameter). The question is, is there any advantage in trying to run the dual exhaust any larger than 2 " diameter pipe? Given the donut design of the 2" angled rams horn manifolds, the only way would be to transition up to larger pipe greater than 2 " would be an expander in the pipe downstream of the 2 " restriction at the exit from the manifold. It does not make sense to me but I would appreciate the thoughts of others on the forum. What do you think?