385 fast burn engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ri
Posts: 43
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
385 fast burn engine

i have a 385 gm fast burn roller engine with a fact installed 383 roller cam , what can you tell me about these motors , it runs great but is it normal for these engine to be noicey on start up tell warmed up,sounds like valve noice but valve adjustment was checked and is rite zero lash and a 1/2 turn thanks jim

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Member
 

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sonoma County, California
Age: 27
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumb question.... are you checking it with the engine running and fully warmed up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
done learning, done living
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Age: 29
Posts: 1,714
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 159
Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
piston slap, cylinder walls are over bored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 48
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
classic result of forged pistons, if theres no blowby present then theres no reason for concern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
American Muscle's Avatar
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: under the hood
Age: 32
Posts: 625
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GTO455
Dumb question.... are you checking it with the engine running and fully warmed up?
Only dumb question is the one not asked. In my opinion this is a poor response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls/Suncrest, WA
Posts: 5,285
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 113
Thanked 139 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sri3850341
classic result of forged pistons, if theres no blowby present then theres no reason for concern
Why would you say that?? I've never had piston slap or rock with forged pistons in a correctly built motor, and I've had many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 PM
327NUT's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Utah
Age: 68
Posts: 3,300
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
"classic result of forged pistons" I don't think so, the 385 Fast Burn comes from the factory with hypereutectics with very tigh clearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 48
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forged pistons are known for more expansion, larger ring gaps are my reasoning for assuming a forged piston had more expansion properties vs other hardening/manufacturing techniques,guess i was wrong. the 385 had hypers?did not know that till now,maybe i should not have been so eager to reply, next time i will make sure before hitting that reply now button..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 PM
American Muscle's Avatar
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: under the hood
Age: 32
Posts: 625
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sri3850341
Forged pistons are known for more expansion, larger ring gaps are my reasoning for assuming a forged piston had more expansion properties vs other hardening/manufacturing techniques,guess i was wrong. the 385 had hypers?did not know that till now,maybe i should not have been so eager to reply, next time i will make sure before hitting that reply now button..
wise choice because these will eat you alive. When posting facts make sure you have evidence to back it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: las vegas
Posts: 48
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle
wise choice because these will eat you alive. When posting facts make sure you have evidence to back it up
Understood.. i dont want to be "eaten alive", i will try to keep my learning silent from now on.. Thanks for the heads up.. You can see by my post count that i am a "newb", so please have pity for now...
To the op, sorry.. Maybe your lifters are bleeding down and ticking, i know you said till warmed up but, approx how long before the noise goes away? And how long does the engine sit when it happens?

Last edited by sri3850341; 02-22-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Member
 

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sonoma County, California
Age: 27
Posts: 59
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle
Only dumb question is the one not asked. In my opinion this is a poor response
I meant I had the dumb question. His was by no means dumb. Sorry for not clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 AM
American Muscle's Avatar
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: under the hood
Age: 32
Posts: 625
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your question wasnt dumb either. You ask questions cause you dont know, you ask questions when you wanna find out. When I was in college i raised my hand all the time like I was in grade school. People usually asked me for info cause they knew if i didnt know the answer Id raise my hand and find out for all of us. Never think a question is dumb

One of my college professors use to always say "if you cant learn continuosly the world cant use you"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
327NUT's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Utah
Age: 68
Posts: 3,300
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
To SRI....Hell I don't know all this stuff, Google is your best friend!! Most of the questions asked can be googled for the answer. One of the worst ones is "what does my sbc casting number mean?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 60
Posts: 5,036
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 598 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackchevy3de
i have a 385 gm fast burn roller engine with a fact installed 383 roller cam , what can you tell me about these motors , it runs great but is it normal for these engine to be noicey on start up tell warmed up,sounds like valve noice but valve adjustment was checked and is rite zero lash and a 1/2 turn thanks jim
Diagnosing engine noises can be hard to do even when standing beside the engine, let alone on the 'net.

The cam has a lot of lift w/o a lot of duration, and uses stamped steel rocker arms. This can contribute to some 'extra' noise. This would be heard from the top of the engine, at the valve cover level.

If you're hearing something lower on the engine block, this could be caused by a piston(s) w/the skirt partly collapsed from overheating, or a loose wrist pin, or even excessive bearing clearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM Fast Burn Heads bigjoedo Engine 4 01-02-2007 11:46 AM
Fast Burn heads engineczar Engine 3 02-10-2006 09:37 PM
GM fast burn heads batman09 Engine 1 10-26-2004 10:32 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.