39 Chevy stock suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Spanky`s Fix It Shop

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

39 Chevy stock suspension

I have a 39 chevy and had a 39 parts car, both were 2 door sedans. They both had a knee action type suspension. Over the years I've seen many rodders starting out on 39 projects and they all had this type front end. Today I seen a bone stock 39 4 door sedan and it had a I-beam with leaf spring front suspension. Anyone seen one like that before ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Knee action

WE have a 36 pontiac in the shop and it has Knee action , and it came with extra front and rear suspensions, .. according to my older brother, the knee action rode smooth, but only lasted a few thousand miles on rough washboard roads before needing a rebuild. But there is a lot of mass to move when turning, you have to move the springs, shocks, etc. when turning. I beams were optional.. there are some small differences in the I beam frames, and most Mustang II kits require a little rework to fit.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

I found this thread on the HAMB. Seems the leafs came on the Standard body while the Master got the knee action.
'38 or '39 Chevy Master - THE H.A.M.B.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Spanky`s Fix It Shop

Last photo:

Thanks for the HAMB thread lots of info. I had seen these on 37-38 but not on 39s.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:

39 coupe (JA body) I'm building had knee-action front. I got a I-beam from 39 business coupe (JB body). I like the I-beam cause I changed over to R&P steering and mounted the steering cylinder/tierods to axle, thus eliminating any slop or bump-steering.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM

36 Chevy I-Beam Front End

Jumping in here for some guidance. I have a 36 Chevy Standard Coupe with an I-beam front suspension on parallel leaf springs. Have been debating whether to retain the stock system and add a disc brake set up with a Vega Steering box, etc. or convert it to an independent system with rack and pinion. I have not found a cross member unit for the Standard Coupe to support the IFS system. There is one for the Masters Coupe. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:

Probably not good guidance, and maybe no help at all, but decision a factor for changing my 39 over to I-beam was placement of steering box w/SBC. To use orig steering shaft and box w/pitman arm would have had to leave driver side ex. manifold off. Wanted power steering too, and V-8, and all the other goodies AND maintain somewhat original appearance.Steering box inside frame rail?, outside frame rail, on roof?, in trunk?, and how many U-joints and shafts/supports to get around that motor? Easy (?) solution was R&p on the I-beam. A little wiggle adjustment (grind apart and reweld) here and there and single shaft from steering shaft to R&P w/different exhaust manifold (center dump) and got nuff room so it wont be binding or hitting anything on rough roads. With R&P on I-beam, tie rods always parallel to ground and in direct line with Steering knuckles. and easy change over to disc brakes on front. I haven't seen anyone with disc conversion for the knee action 39, so don't know if available, and I know absolutely zero (nothing) about the Vega, and don't know how 36 frame and steering different from 39, so probably not too much help here. Today making front shock mounts cause the orig. knee-action front suspension also had the knee-action shocks mounted atop the coil spring towers.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Thanks Fast Eddy. I have an R&P P/S unit that I will lay in there and see where the U-Joints need to go Instead of a Vega Box. I have any original steering column, so thats a semi negotiable item in regards to length thru the fire wall. I presume your shock mounts will be steel plates fastened below the springs using longer U-Bolts that hold the leafs in. So many options.... I have a SBC with center dump rams horns, so that should help.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.