Hot Rod Forum banner

39 Chevy suspension

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jpd37 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am new to this list and am working on my first project, a 39 Chevy 2-door sedan. The 16-inch wheels and front suspension must go. I need to know what type of front end, or clip, would be best to use. I would appreciate any instruction on how to cut and assemble a new suspension for this project. Thanks, Ron

#2 ·
:pimp: You might want to look at the Mustang II suspension kits for this car, possible manufacturers like Fat Man Fabrications, Heidts are just 2. You can find them in any rod magazine or in the company reviews on this web site :thumbup:

#4 ·
:pimp: Rather than cut your frame in half to add a clip, and if you want inexpensive you might want to rebuild the stock suspension. The parts are available at Kanter Auto www.kanter.com. If your not planning a high horsepower car this would be the cheapest way to go. Adding a clip can be messed up real quick if measurements aren't exact and cause the car to not track straight and the welds need to be top quality, so it probably wouldn't be any cheaper.

#5 ·
Another consideration is the expense associated with rebuilding the suspension on the clip. Price out bushings, ball joints, and springs to get an idea. Also you may need rotors and calipers. By the time you get done it may well be cheaper (and definately easier) to use a MII based suspension.

#7 ·
39 chevy suspension

hi thanks so much for the information. i am looking into all the ideas that were posted. it will take a while to make up my mind on what approch to take. the reason that i ask about a front clip or s-10 frame was that i intend to only make a rat rod type driver,so the suspension does not need to be new. i also lie to build and try new things. this may include trying to instll a clip. however the number one thing for me is to have something safe when it is finished. i don't know what my skill level is in regaurd to a task such as this , but i know that everyone has to try anything at least once to know if they can do it. all this said, you guys do have me seriously looking into a mustang ll suspension. thanks again ron

#8 ·
39 chevy suspension

hi thanks so much for the information. i am looking into all the ideas that were posted. it will take a while to make up my mind on what approach to take. the reason that i ask about a front clip or s-10 frame was that i intend to only make a rat rod type driver,so the suspension does not need to be new. i also like to build and try new things. this may include trying to install a clip. however the number one thing for me is to have something safe when it is finished. i don't know what my skill level is in regard to a task such as this , but i know that everyone has to try anything at least once to know if they can do it. all this said, you guys do have me seriously looking into a mustang ll suspension. thanks again Ron

#9 ·
39 Chevy Front Suspension

I just saw your post today and would like to give you my 2 cents. I put a MII suspension from Chassi Engineering in my 39 recently and have been very pleased. The engineering was great, the people were very helpful and it went in without any trouble. I had not installed one by myself before so I was not very confident. Plan well, measure everything and take your time.
Mike

#11 ·
39 Chevy

Ron,
I had the car running for a short time but 2 weeks before the Goodguys Nationals, my radiator went out and I had to get a new one. I have power steering in it and I'm using a GM power steering pump but it is very sensitive. I have put in a valve that is suppose to slow the steering down but it is still too sensitive. I added two more shims and hope that it will reduce the sensitivity of it but I won't know until I drive it again. A few people on this site do not have power steering in their's and they said it worked out well for them. If I had it to do over again I think I would not install power steering. I had thought about converting it back but didn't have a rack, just paid for a radiator and wanted to go to the Nationals in Louisville next week. I 'm waiting for the lower radiator hose now but should have the car running in a day or two. If anyone knows which radiator hose will work with a small block Chevy and a Walker radiator I would appreciate the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.