Hot Rod Forum banner

39 Chevy truck frame woes

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike McFail 
#1 ·
Hi... I am new here, and trying to get my truck road ready. My 39 pickup has rust issues, more or less like eveyone does. The frame rust is what has me the most concerned. I don't know where to start, other than I have no confidence in the old rusted frame, nor its design to handle @ 450 horsepower 350. This truck was originally made to run errands like trips to the feed store for maybe a few hundred pounds of cracked corn, not being twisted and abused with massive twisting torque. My initial plan was to rat rod this beast, however the safety issues of a weak frame concern me greatly. Being as there is no bed yet, cab is rusted across the bottom everywhere, making a custom fit bed with newer, safer, and superior technology seems the right move. There are no fendersSo, I am doing research now to see what I can do to fabricate a frame. I have a 78 vette rear end I would like to use, and 03 vette front suspension consisting of the aluminum upper and lower control arms, power rack & pinion steering.

I would like to hear ideas and input from anyone who has thoughts, or experience with similar issues. Thanks, Mike

#5 ·
With the vette components you want to add you already have a ton of fabrication to do so why not get some 2x4 tubing and build your own from scratch. It would probably be no more work than boxing your existing frome and modifying it for the new suspension, plus you're working with all new material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.