39 Chevy truck frame woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

39 Chevy truck frame woes

Hi... I am new here, and trying to get my truck road ready. My 39 pickup has rust issues, more or less like eveyone does. The frame rust is what has me the most concerned. I don't know where to start, other than I have no confidence in the old rusted frame, nor its design to handle @ 450 horsepower 350. This truck was originally made to run errands like trips to the feed store for maybe a few hundred pounds of cracked corn, not being twisted and abused with massive twisting torque. My initial plan was to rat rod this beast, however the safety issues of a weak frame concern me greatly. Being as there is no bed yet, cab is rusted across the bottom everywhere, making a custom fit bed with newer, safer, and superior technology seems the right move. There are no fendersSo, I am doing research now to see what I can do to fabricate a frame. I have a 78 vette rear end I would like to use, and 03 vette front suspension consisting of the aluminum upper and lower control arms, power rack & pinion steering.

I would like to hear ideas and input from anyone who has thoughts, or experience with similar issues. Thanks, Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Depending on your finances, you can buy a pre-built frame that will allow all your suspension pieces to simply bolt on. Progressive Automotive comes to mind, I'm sure there are others...
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Do you have a picture of the frame and the problem areas?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Yep, need some pics. Boxed with added cross members would be plenty strong for what you are planning.
The Following User Says Thank You to stea For This Useful Post:
zmaxmotorsports (02-28-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM

Last photo:

With the vette components you want to add you already have a ton of fabrication to do so why not get some 2x4 tubing and build your own from scratch. It would probably be no more work than boxing your existing frome and modifying it for the new suspension, plus you're working with all new material.
The Following User Says Thank You to 39Hemi For This Useful Post:
Mike McFail (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Thanks...new steel, more confidence. Son is an excellent welder, and can tig it together for me. Thanks again for yur brain waves..

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.