39 Deluxe master cylinder adapter? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 07:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

39 Deluxe master cylinder adapter?

I've got a 39 Ford Deluxe that is now ready for a dual master cylinder. It has plain ole freshly rebuilt stock drum brakes front and rear and I can cut/flare/bend hard lines. I see adapters to change out the old master cylinder to a dual cylinder Mustang job but the little adapter itself seems to go for somewhere about $50 bucks and up while other people sell what they call a complete kit (adapter with new master cylinder and a few lines) for around $250 (and up).

Seems like it should be a simple thing to just mount and cut in a dual master cylinder as well as get a new (or rebulit) cylinder for $50 bucks or less at the local auto parts store. Plumb in a proportioning valve to the rear (another $35 bucks or so) and I should be in business. If I have to buy the adaptor I will but I'm on a low budget and certainly can't go for the Californica $250 kit.

What am I missing and has anyone here any lower buck alternatives?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Are you planning to keep the floor mounted pedals or hang some under the dash and mount it on the firewall? On my 51 Ford, I put it on the firewall and didn't need no "Stinkin" adapter.

If you want to keep the through the floor pedals, you will need to adapt the later MC to the earlier pedal assembly. I would think that you could make a plate that would work. To save a couple of hundred, I sure would try.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

I want to keep the original pedal. The rest of the brakes have been rebuilt but the old master cylinder needs replacement so figured I'd replace it with a new or rebuilt (probably new) double master rather than replacing (or rebuilding/resleaving) the the old fruit jar.

I had hoped that there perhaps was another low buck (read cheap) guy with a hot tip around here.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:57 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You should be able to make your own adapter if you have any fabrication skills (measuring, marking, cutting, and welding). I have made several from flat plate and heavy wall pipe. I cut the flat plate to the size of the mounting bracket surface for the original master cylinder and one that will fit the mounting face of the new master cylinder I want to use. I then measure the size of the flange on the new MC and cut or drill this hole in the plate. Slip it over the flange, clamp, and then use the appropriate transfer punch to mark each of the mounting bolt holes. I do the same for the original MC. Then, bolt the plates to the appropriate location to determine how much heavy wall pipe I need to get the new MC in the correct location. I then cut the pipe to length and clamp the assembly in place to make sure the MC is where I want it. When located, I spot the plates and pipe in three or for places, recheck and then remove to complete the final welding. Now your next challenge is to get the correct length of push rod, but at this point, that is easy.

Trees
Old 09-30-2005, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

Thanks trees, after looking at pictures of the commercially avialable adapter I think I could make one. Maybe not as pretty but then again, if anyone wants to crawl under this car and critize my fabrication they'll be in the right posistion for a swift kick. (Anyway, as I'm sure you guys know, a little finish work and a coat of paint do wonders)

Thanks again, that's the kick I needed to get me to think about it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.