39 Pontiac Lower A arm pivot question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM

Last journal entry: new wires for the hot rod 39
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

39 Pontiac Lower A arm pivot question

The part that bolts to the frame has threads. Both "A" ends thread to this part. When the A arm goes up and down with the wheel, the wear at these joints happens in these threads. There is grease zert thing etc. It would take lots of big words to discribe this set up. I hope somebody out there has seen this assembly, maybe answer this:

I see more threads sticking out on one side than the other. I think this is part of the caster adjustment, or effects caster. Does it? What difference would 1/8th make one way or the other? Not to worry? Or Freak Out?

Remember! This aint a Chevy, it's a Poncho! I have majorly burned bridges here dudes, got Fat Man lowered spindle supports, bent steering arms... now I need to put it all back together.....somehow.... ;-)

R

PS I hope to include a picture of the old stuff before I yanked it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39 Pontiac Front SuspensionB 003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	12524  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 09:43 PM
russlaferrera

Last wiki edit: Threading tips
Wiki Edits: 2

lower A frame

rwrther, There is a solid shaft that is threaded on both sides, that is bolted to the frame. The A frame is secured to the treaded ends, where they go up and down, they ride on bushings that are greased, (by zerk grease fittings). These bushings do not ride on the treaded part of the shaft, they turn within themselves. That why they are greased.

Unless the bushings are frozen or worn there should be no problem! Hope this makes sense to you, as it think it does to me. I am old and have a small brain that gets smaller every day.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

lower A frame

I can't swear this is the caster adjustment for this car, but yes, tilting the lower A frame would affect caster. No reason to freak. could be anything. Longer bolt than the other, thicker washer, etc. there are only 2 things to worry about. Is it all tight, but not frozen and how does the car drive? Caster is what makes the handling. Think of a motorcyle front fork. Straight up and down it would have no self centering ability and be a twitchy ride, too much of an angle and it gets too springy and a ridiculous turning. the same principles apply. Any time you modify the front end, or ride height, or wheel offset, or tire sizes, get an alignment. Cheap price to pay for better handling.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.