390 Ford Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

390 Ford Engine

I want to know if anyone can assist with informations regarding a 390 Ford Engine off a 1965 ford pickup. I'm interested in purchasing the 390 ford engine. These are the numbers I located on the intake manifold C5AE 9423 B and below these numbers there are other numbers 5J10:. In front of the driver side of the 390 block I see the number 31 and below it there is a number 352. I've read many FE have 352 on the block but it can still be a 390 etc. Also, the number I located in a website shows C5AE-B: 65/390cid, Police Interceptor, High Performance, Solid lifters.

In another site while doing my research I locate this information: "The 1961-65 390 Police Interceptor and High Performance blocks (C1AE-V, C2AE-BC, C2AE-BE, C2AE-BR, C2AE-BS, C3AE-KY, C3ME-B, C4AE-F and C5AE-B) have heavier main bearing caps and drilled oil passages for hydraulic lifters."

"Blocks before 1965 had two-bolt engine mounts while those from 1965 and later had three-bolt engine mounts." The 3 bolt mounts should be sufficient to what I want to do with the engine. Details below!

The information provided by the websites seem to inform me the 390 engine which I'm interested in is a strong engine with HP. What is your opinion?

If the 390 is a strong good engine I would like to modify it. Details: I'm thinking of changing the crank with a 427 crank which will become a 410 cubic inches, if possible. Also, I want to add either dual carbs or three deuces, performance intake, larger aluminum heads, street/strip roller cam, twin turbo etc. I'm thinking of boxing the frame too so it will have more strength. Any advice you can provide.

The owner says its a 390 and the parts are hard to locate.

I will appreciate any information regarding the 390 etc. If its a good engine what is a fair price to pay?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM

First, 390 is a great engine. Tough stuff, moderately powerful when properly built.

390 and 427 use the same stroke (3.780"), so installing a 427 crankshaft won't "help" except to make it a strong forging instead of a strong casting. 410 and 428 use the same stroke (3.984"). 427 "made" the extra cubes with the 4.230" bore. I've seen the 427 block used with the 428 crank. making a "454" Ford.

How much power do you need?

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. P-Body For This Useful Post:
55FerociousPickUp (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the information. I want to apologize for my mistake. Regarding the crank change, its a 390 with a 428 crank to increase the cubic inches to 410. Crank will more likely be a forged crank. Also, I will bore it to .030 thousands.

I want at least 475 hp or more if possible. Any tips on how what parts to add so I can gain more power.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM

FEs have been being built for high horsepower since they arrived in '58. Today, it's pretty easy with new heads available. Edelbrocks, properly ported and a good roller, your power goals are attainable. I'd think more about building the 390 or finding a 427 block before using the longer stroke. 410s were as tough as other FEs, but not really any "faster".

There are those around here that are more aware of the aftermarket offerings for FE. I hear 427 blocks are being reproduced. If so, THAT is where it's "at".

Precious few forgings still around for the 3 3/4" stroke. We have a couiple 391 cranks "stashed" for such needs (they require modifications to the snout to "fit" in cars). There some good forgings in the aftermarket, for the longer strokes.

FEs "like" more lift that "average", not unlike BBC and Lima Ford.

Plenty of good induction and exhaust systems available.

Jim
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Ford Fe.

I have an Fe in one of my roadsters. There are a couple forums with mostly Fe builders and Club Cobra has lots of Info. an old Buddy, Bruce Cambern, retired head of Ford Racing, is getting 800 plus Hp on the Fe in His Cobra, won the 2009 Optima, good Utube video's out there. some of the Ford engine books have info on oiling system mods you need to do when you pump one up.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Be careful, 352's in mid 60's ford trucks are as common as houseflys, 390's not so much. I'm not even sure they were available as an option, a lot of things can happen in 50 years so it could be a 390 but you need to verify it. The front pulleys on the 352 and the 390 are different, I don't think that the 352 had a harmnic balancer and the 390 did.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm a long time ford man. Used to own a 360 fe before the block cracked. I'm part of another site and over and over we tell guys the only way to check is to measure the stroke. 352s or 360s magically become 390s or bigger on sale day. Since theyre all Identical. I do agree as some have stated above, that I believe Summit possibly sells 427 short blocks. Could be wrong..anyhoo. The 390 is a very stout engine. In order to obtain your mark, focus on all aspects of the engine. Most guys just want to bolt on a set of heads, a cam, and a new intake and call it good. These engines stock were low revving stump pullers, so you'll really need to vamp up the bottom end too. The stock heads are bottlenecks, but any good build would include good headwork or a set of new aftermarket ones. Good luck in your endeavors!

Tags
390, engine, ford, horsepower

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.