390 Manifold Fit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

390 Manifold Fit

Hi Guys, I just bought a rebuilt 390 Ford FE engine and the last and the front two bolts do not align with the head. This manifold was used on other blocks and there was no problem mounting it so I'm looking for answers. I'm questioning wheather their or other thinner gaskets that it under the front and the back of the manifold to allow it to set down farther on the heads so I could bolt it up or could the heads have been shaved to the extent that the manifold does not go down far enough to align the bolts?? Any and all input into curing this problem will be appreciated. Mel

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Smith View Post
Hi Guys, I just bought a rebuilt 390 Ford FE engine and the last and the front two bolts do not align with the head. This manifold was used on other blocks and there was no problem mounting it so I'm looking for answers. I'm questioning wheather their or other thinner gaskets that it under the front and the back of the manifold to allow it to set down farther on the heads so I could bolt it up or could the heads have been shaved to the extent that the manifold does not go down far enough to align the bolts?? Any and all input into curing this problem will be appreciated. Mel
Manifold needs to be milled if the heads were. Bottom cut should be 70% of the head cut.

Bogie
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Mel Smith

Thanks Old Bogie, I guess I will have to find out if the heads were milled but Thanks for your answer.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I'll keep harping on this until they shovel dirt in my face......
GET THE BLOCK SQUARE FIRST, then you can square up everything else. Have your machine shop inspect the main bearing bores for being round and parallel with each other, then register the block on the mains and cut the block decks parallel to the mains.

Do this BASIC operation and make the motor go together like it was intended to by the engineers who drafted it out on a clean sheet of paper.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

fe int manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Smith View Post
is the manifold cast iron,if yes us the center bolts to pull it into place,be sure manifold is centered. some older fes had a dowel at front of block and a slot in intake,i think the dowel was to hold cork gasket(be sure the manifold has the slot,or remov dowel if its ther. if manifold is alum posibly warped. good luck.
if manifold cast lower it on with a crane to be sure gaskets ar in place,glew with a good cement to the heads and grease the surface wher manifold mates
i

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.