Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkystrk1116
Thanks for the info, my next question would be, is the powertrain reliable, any history of over all reliability? I would really like to keep this car in original condition, but I am wondering, shall I be concerned about the A/C if I do the right thing, new compressors and the restore the whole system to original the right way? I love this car, I tried to sell it on ebay since I am moving out of the country (the job) but I decided to take it with me, I think its such a great car.
thanks a lot
Nice looking Cadillac. These cars were reasonably reliable- but you have to remember, despite how nice it looks on the outside, underneath the car is still 50 y/o. And if I understood your post, you've really not put any miles on it.

Unless you can drive it to have some idea of the overall condition and to work the inevitable bugs out of it, I'd have to recommend you take some nice photos to take with you and store it until you get back. If that's not possible, sell it. I wouldn't take it overseas, though- not w/o a thorough going over and many miles of driving, unless the cost of future repairs and maintenance/upkeep isn't an issue. The engine and AC is one thing, but things like the Hydromatic trans can be a very difficult fix- it's not that easy to get them worked on here let alone in another country.

As for the AC, I'd do some research to see what's available where you are going as far as refrigerant goes. If they have access to R-12, fine. If they're like here, go w/the R-134a. Taking pressurized containers of refrigerant with you may be a problem, airlines are funny that way.