Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 390 stroker
Thread: 390 stroker
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

Wiki Edits: 0

hey rick,

the old jba/esi group did a balls to the wall build-up of an fe motor once, for a guy who put it into an amc bodied car to run at the salt flats for an all out top speed run. i was there when they finished the build and were about to do a dyno run on it. i remember going over the specs for the motor too - the cylinder heads were TOTALLY done up! material added in some places; material removed in other places - all in the name of creating a straighter flow from the intake manifold to the cylinder chamber. i'm not sure what the ending angle was, but i believe the starting angle is in the neighborhood of 37deg! it's no wonder why the fe was never a horsepower monster! anyhow, the motor had a custom intake manifold, created because the ports on the cylinder heads werent in the proper places anymore... and it ran an impressive 676hp and some 600ft-lbs of torque at 7600rpm! at the time, it was the highest power ever recorded for a naturally aspirated fe - i dont know if there's one that beat it now. that series was never a motor to get the numbers out of. with today's technology, you can get pretty close to those numbers with a stroked small block (351 block) and still be hundreds of pounds lighter. that amc, however, did break the 200mph mark.... which in itself is an achievement for an old brick!