Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russchiappa
Thanks for the rapid replies.
I am using adjustable pushrods, with hydraulic lifters. Using new Chrysler 300 (1958) valve springs.The shop that did the assembly installed them. I have not checked clearances.
If you would please indulge me, what would i set them to?
I believe i could handle the task having owned slant sixes, and early mopar flatheads, just not sure what they should be.
I picked up a copy of The early hemi handbook, but i dont believe there is any reference to adjustment.thanks, Russ
Ok: first thing the solid lifter cams in the 300 in 1956,57,58 had spring pressures of 158# at 1&7/32" at an installed height of 1&21/32" and the hydraulic on others engines had 170# at 1&5/16" at an installed height of 1&11/16" in 1959 , 60 & 61 the 300s ran all hydraulics and spring pressures climbed to 195# at 1&15/32" at an installed height of 1&55/64"

What spring pressures and installed height did the cam co. recommend for the cam your running What are the cam card specs ?

In 1955 spring pressures were only 126# at 1&5/16" at an installed height of 1&11/16" You may have the wrong springs installed! Some auto parts stores will list one spring for all assembly's on the early Hemis and if you don't specify exactly what pressure & height you need your screwed especially if they are not checked by the builder before installing!!

The adjustment is the distance between the rocker arm and valve tip when the valve is fully closed and lifter is fully collapsed! Its very hard to explain that to people that weren't trained on the early Chryslers & Fords LOL There is a tool made that will help if you do this. At Chryslers and Fords when you cut valve seats and dressed valve tips or changed a lifter with the non adjustable rocker arm shaft for hydraulics you might have different length push rods or valve lash caps for different cylinders Thats where the saying came from " make sure the push rods go back on exactly in the spot you removed them from" Ford was the same way LOL!! Ford and Chrysler called the adjustment when the rockers and shaft was installed .000" or Zero lash because the lash was already set when the shaft and rockers are being installed. Guys that really know Chryslers & Fords Know this very well !!! I work on a lot of Chrysler engines and I have to do this quite a bit! thats why I said Chevys were easy

Most Chrysler hydraulic lifters collapsed to within the specified clearances so it wasn't very often you had to do any changes on stock builds but once you change to high performance lifters, rocker arms, cams etc, etc, you are changing the entire valve train geometry and opening a can of worms if you don't know what your doing!

Im sure Im going to get a lot of disagreements on what I wrote you LOL so take it as a grain of salt!

Jester