396 bbc into a toyota land cruiser , bad idea ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

396 bbc into a toyota land cruiser , bad idea ??

Im building a 71 fj40 land cruiser for 4wheelin and some daily driving. Using a 700r transmission and a transfer case thats geared low . Long hours of idling and low speeds over rocky trails when 4wheeling . Most guys run a stock sbc 350 , good power , ok gas mileage. I have a 350 to use but.....
I have a this motor that was my dad's , It's a 1966 ss 396 from a chevelle.
It has the square exhaust port heads. I know it would be over kill and i dont need that much hp. But the thought of my dads 396 brings on a smile .
Ive never drove anything with a bbc so im not sure what to expect
I think trying to keep it running cool and the gas mileage would be a deal killer.
What do you guy's think ? Should i save this motor for another project and use the 350 instead?

This is not my rig , but this is what it will look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40340001.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	71414  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 PM

Last photo:

I know about sentimental values but the 396 with the big rectangular port heads are more suited for high rpm not low end grunt. You could still build a cheap 396 with oval port heads that would be good....but since you have the 350 why not just use it and save your dad's engine for something really special.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

ALL 396 and all iron head big blocks are square port exhaust.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

X 2 with Nut. Keep the Rat motor for a nice chevelle, or a caprice.
A SBC in your F2 would be a great attribute, especially since there is so much support for it out there. Kinda nice to be able to buy parts about anywhere for your daily driver/rock crawler .
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james92toy View Post
I think trying to keep it running cool and the gas mileage would be a deal killer.
That (BBCs suck gas bad just to keep at idle), plus the whole rest of the truck (frame, suspension, driveline) would need to be upgraded to deal with it...not just the power, but the weight. For all of that, it'd be fun for short bursts or on the dunes but otherwise just a conversation piece.

As mentioned above, the rectangle-port difference in heads applies to the intakes, not exhaust. Oval port intakes common and torquey, square-port hi-hp/rpm stuff. What ever yours is, like they say...keep it around for something else.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM

In a vehicle as heavy as a Land Cruiser, the big block isn't really that "far out". Using an "RV" cam, Performer, peanut-port heads, that thing would climb the Empire State Building. The downsides are mounting it (kits for small blocks are everywhere), whether or not the 700 is up to the task is doubtful (TH200-4R is stronger once modified), and BBC is not a "cheap" engine to build. But it's bullet-proof and under 4,500 RPM, would live forever. "Custom" headers are another expense.

Since you already have the 350, building a 383 with similar characteristics of the above 396 would be my recommendation. While 350 is a good engine, the added stroke would provide more low-end torque, your ultimate "goal" with an engine of this application. The small block is the economical choice, as there are kits available that include all the mounting system and headers. Very little "custom" work is necessary.

If money isn't as important as "performance" (using your parameters), a "428" BBC is a GREAT torque monster. Using a 454 crankshaft in the 396 block gives the best of "both worlds", by adding stroke without increasing bore. With proper preparation on the heads and a good cam choice, it would rival the 428 Pontiac for low-end and mid-range power. If you're not familiar with them, ask some of your non-Chevy friends about the potential torque output of the Pontiac. Yes, a low-speed BBC can do it, too. It would require "custom" pistons, which aren't difficult, just expensive.

The fuel consumption of these BBC configurations would surprise you. One 396 in a Corvette was checked for a year, and managed 17 MPG, while beating a Viper in it's only "speed contest". Low-speed engine (5,400 RPM peak), tall gears. I would think in the much heavier Toyota, the 428 would provide better fuel economy. Don't overlook the weight when considering fuel consumption. A small block has to "work" much harder to do the same job.

If "cool factor" is a consideration, BBC, without a doubt.

Jim
Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

Yes, the land cruiser is going to be heavy. I was thinking of the 396 for the coolness factor and the sentimental value. It would take more fabricating to make the bbc fit. But i think your right about the 383 that might be the best all around .

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:19 PM

A little tool that may help you!

Whether BBC, SBC or anything else give this site a quick peek, they have a little handy tool that fits inside your smartphone and may help you a lot with your engine buildup.

http://www.hotrodderapps.com
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Back in the late 70s,we had 22 Cruisers in our club,and had anything from later model Chevy 6s to 283s, 350s (I had a 300 hp 350 in mine) but the coolest one of them all was my buddy Jerrys with a 1969 455 Olds and 400 TH,he never even bothered with low range,(didn't need to!) in this day of 4.00 a gal. gas ,I'd save the "96" for something else...JMO

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.