Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 396 Big block v.s. 400 small block
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2003, 12:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

When I was in the military a long time ago, I had a big block Chevelle. I used to work on it all the time at the base shop. The nice thing was that there was plenty of experience there to help me. I also didn't have much money but was able to get parts for it reasonably priced by going to local machine shops. For instance, I was able to get a used but good crank reground, for a hundred bucks but like I said that was a long time ago. Yes, parts are a bit more money for the big block but not that much more. The nice thing is that you don't have to spend alot of money building up the big block for good street power. Build it with a little over 9 to one compression and 2 1/2" exhaust and a moderate cam that thing will securally put you back into your seat from 2000 rpm on up to 5000! There is something special about the torque of a big block. 250 bucks is a good price for a good rebuildable big block. You'll pay that and more for a good small block core. Plus, if you get a later model small block, the heads will be junk and will require alot of work read money and still might crack. So, the choise is yours my friend but in the final outcome, you certainly won't get stung going with either engine...Good luck