3963512 Big Block Chevy - Help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 PM

Last journal entry: Gunked up 454 water jacket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3963512 Big Block Chevy - Help!

Hello gents.

Picked up a 3963512, 2 bolt main, .030 over bare block today. Date code is H19 70 which I assume means it was made August 19, 1970.

My problem is that I can barely / can't make out the stamped code in front of the front passenger side cylinder. If any of you can help me with this I would be greatly appreciated. It looks like

"T08" then a "7" or a "3", then a "1", followed by a space then its a "2" or a "P", followed by what looks like a "D" or a "J".

I know these blocks can be quite valuable, but I am guessing that unless I can make out these numbers or figure out exactly what vehicle this block came out of, I will never really know. Any other ways to identify this block?

I also got a forged crank in the deal and I know you guys are gonna think I am nuts, but it has NO casting number on any of the counter weights and no casting lines at all. Anyone every seen anything like that?

The only identifiers I can find on it are stamped into the front counterweight.
Top number is either:

0T4544000 or QT4544000

and then the number below that number is either:

0T-039 or QT-039.

I am thinking it is forged because when I strike one of the counterweights with a wrench I get the high frequency "Ping!" sound as opposed to a thud type of sound.

Anyone that can help me identify the block and the crank more precisely would be greatly appreciated. Also an approximate value on the block. In doing some research I have seen that casting number going for anywhere between $500 and $2700.

Thanks.

Brent

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
BigChevyFTW

that casting number and date tells me it came from a 1970 454 LS6 Chevelle which is very rare and very expensive. GREAT FIND.
you can use a black powder to help you read the casting numbers on the passenger pad but do not destroy them as it will hurt the value ive seen them blocks sell for 5 grand on ebay

and the LS6 chevelles came with forged cranks . that block will go .125 over with no problems at all with room to spare those are the thickest castings gm ever made.

Last edited by BigChevyFTW; 06-24-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. And I am far from an early big block Chevy expert, but wouldn't the LS6 have been a 4 bolt main? Mine is only a 2 bolt main. Any idea what the stamped code on the pad means (i.e. what the engine came from exactly)?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31fordcoupe
Hello gents.

Picked up a 3963512, 2 bolt main, .030 over bare block today. Date code is H19 70 which I assume means it was made August 19, 1970.

My problem is that I can barely / can't make out the stamped code in front of the front passenger side cylinder. If any of you can help me with this I would be greatly appreciated. It looks like

"T08" then a "7" or a "3", then a "1", followed by a space then its a "2" or a "P", followed by what looks like a "D" or a "J".

I know these blocks can be quite valuable, but I am guessing that unless I can make out these numbers or figure out exactly what vehicle this block came out of, I will never really know. Any other ways to identify this block?

I also got a forged crank in the deal and I know you guys are gonna think I am nuts, but it has NO casting number on any of the counter weights and no casting lines at all. Anyone every seen anything like that?

The only identifiers I can find on it are stamped into the front counterweight.
Top number is either:

0T4544000 or QT4544000

and then the number below that number is either:

0T-039 or QT-039.

I am thinking it is forged because when I strike one of the counterweights with a wrench I get the high frequency "Ping!" sound as opposed to a thud type of sound.

Anyone that can help me identify the block and the crank more precisely would be greatly appreciated. Also an approximate value on the block. In doing some research I have seen that casting number going for anywhere between $500 and $2700.

Thanks.

Brent
Casting number 3963512:

1969-'71 427/454; 335 to 450HP; both 2 and 4-Bolt, inc. COPO engines- but would have been a 4-bolt.

Suffix "PD" or "PJ" doesn't show up in the databases I checked, that could mean it's just not listed, you misread it or it may be a truck block.

Crank is a 4" stroke aftermarket BBC cast nodular iron crank made (or imported) by RPM. I believe that it's the cheapest new BBC crank available anywhere; a new one costs $277.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Cobalt-

Thanks for the info. After looking at the website you linked, that's definately the crank.

Guess I will just throw the block up on eBay and see what I can get for it.

Thanks again for checking the pad numbers. They are all but missing. Very difficult to read.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:43 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31fordcoupe
Cobalt-

Thanks for the info. After looking at the website you linked, that's definately the crank.

Guess I will just throw the block up on eBay and see what I can get for it.

Thanks again for checking the pad numbers. They are all but missing. Very difficult to read.
Too bad you're not closer- I could use a BBC block w/some life left in it. Good luck on moving it, shouldn't be a problem except having to ship it!

I just checked on mailing out 2 SBC heads via USPS. Two separate boxes (70 lb limit, one head is about 50 lb), about $25/per box.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Duplicate post for some reason. Thanks again.

Last edited by 31fordcoupe; 06-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.